My first attempts at a variety of "landscape" images. . .

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Gerald Plowman, Aug 2, 2007.

1. sreeves31

sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    Gerald-
    As a fellow nature photographer (and I use the term loosely in my case) I understand what you mean. With birds and animals the composition often presents itself. Landscapes are much more deliberate and calculated. That being said these are nice. #1 and #2 are especially good compositions. #1 may be a tad underexposed (at least on my monitor.) Did you use a neutral density filter on either of the 1st two?

2. No I didn't. Received various filters recently and need to get out there and learn how to use them. . . .to date I have used a solid 3 stop filter only so I could shoot a creek at 1/4. . . tried out a 3 stop Lee soft filter yesterday on a sunset but didn't find it very useful. . . from what I know about filters, a soft one would make white puffy clouds "pop".......and if the mountain in #1 for example was much brighter then the lake or the lake far brighter then the mountain, I could have reduced the brightest area which would allow me to increase the light of the darker area........is that correct?

3. gerald...love the way u captured the reflection. nice series. db

4. Thanks David. . . I plan on going back up there and give some of these spots another shot to see if I have learned anything.

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Nice shot, I like the way you composed the first one especially. classic.

6. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Hi Gerald, here are my opinions regarding your shots, these opinions plus 25 cents will get you a cup of coffee:biggrin:

Photo #1 This is the best of the bunch although you may have achieved a bit more colorfull sky with a circular polarizer....but I like it.

Photo #2 I like the diagonal created by the grass/flowers in the lower 1/3rd of the frame but the picture just doesn't quite jump out at me.

Photo #3 Flower cuting into the mountain peak reflection a bit distracting.

Photo #4 Would recommend shooting this shot in a vertical orientation and capture a bit more of the falls.

You have a very nice location from which to shoot and you are off to a great start. - Jeff

7. These are all pretty good Gerald! The first is my favorite, although I would suggest adding a little more sky above the mountain, so it doesn't looks closed in.

8. I Think It's About Composition

Gerald

Welcome to architectural / landscape photography! It's the only type of shots I have tended to take; albeit I am now starting to think about portraits what with grandchildren arriving. I am definitely not a pro at any type of photography including landscape, but have built up a couple of ideas which have served me well and I am still very much learning as I go ....

You have some nice elements here for landscape photography. i.e. mountain peaks, mist, still water reflections, waterfalls...

I find your first shot most appealing from a composition point of view. It has for me a foreground - wild flowers and grass bank; a subject - the mountain peak and it's reflection in the water and a background - the blue and off white sky. Any time I can get all three components represented with attractive / interesting elements, I usually have a well composed shot, that is provided they complement each other and I have taken care of the technical requirements (focus, exposure, etc...). To me however, the most important component is the subject.

I find your first shot has the most compelling subject, whereas the remaining three are less striking / clearly defined. The second shot for example is the subject the placid lake or is it the hills on the far shore? It's not clear which should have the viewer's focus of attention.

Your third shot has what I would consider to be an incomplete subject (others would probably disagree) and doesn't have a background in my opinion.

In your last shot I find no background unless you consider your subject to be the frothing water and the waterfall itself the background. But again to me it's not clear. I would suggest you consider taking in more /all of the falls and maybe grab a bit of sky or background forest (depending on what was in view).

Hope some of this is useful to you and not simply "mumbo jumbo". Irregardless, all the best on your journey into architectural / landscape photography!

9. thanks Jeff.......I am told this shot is much better with a few white clouds moving around.

I have many shot of the entire falls........my attempt in #4 was to concentrate on the beautiful rock formations on either side........I should have placed the bottom of the falls to one side of the image with more "rock" in the picture I think.
    #3 might had worked better if the lone flower was much closer. . my attempt there was to make the flower the focal point with the mountain reflection as the background. . . the problem with shooting in national parks like this is you must stay on the pathways, no walking in the meadows. . . a lens longer then 200mm would have been required to accomplish this.

Thanks David. . . . unfortunately this was shot at 10mm and that is the widest lens I have

Appreciate you taking the time to comment. . . as I stated above, this type of photography takes a great deal of thought and planning. . . when you have about 15 minutes (when the mountain is actually relected in the lake) planning before arriving at the scene is required.

10. I often go back many times to a location to get the shot I ultimately want. As you point out wind, clouds, lighting and other factors almost always make this more than a one time shoot.

11. Same suggestion from my side. Besides that, well done.