My First Birdfeeder Shots w/70/200 VR +TC

This is my first try at capturing birds at my new feeders. They have only been up for three weeks and I'm getting lots of goldfinches, house finches, song sparrows, and house sparrows, among others.

I set up my camera about 20 feet from the feeder (actually in my kitchen!) and shoot outside. These were all taken with the 70-200/2.8 plus a TC17e teleconverter. That gets me out to 340mm! I've not tried to take small birds before and I was amazed at how much lenspower it takes. At 20 feet, with 340mm of lens, I still had to crop about 1/2 of the frame to get a decent close-up.

I was shooting at 1/500 second, between f/4 and f/5.6 at 320-340mm for each of these shots. I'd sure like your criticism. I know I can improve, but your good advice will help a lot. Thanks!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

God bless.
Doug

Hey, Gale,
Thanks for the websites. I've taken a quick look at them and I'm sure they will be useful.
I always appreciate good advice!
God bless.
Doug

great captures I have the same feeder you have in pic 1 man I spend a lot of time watching and about 50 pounds of seed every two weeks filling it
but a joy to watch and take pictures of the birds feeding from it

I don't see anything wrong with these photos. The feather detail is very good and on a yellow male finch that is a sharp. Hard to beat any F2.8 glass when it comes to useing any TE on it.
Lou

Hiya Doug! Welcome to the best forum in town! I believe I have the same feeder too! I could only see one photo and that was the 2nd one - awsome shot there! Hope next time I look, I'll see the other 2! Keep em comin! We love birdies!

Hi, Jim,
I'm not sure why you're getting red x's, but I'm new to this forum, so I may be doing something wrong in posting my photos.

The images reside on Pbase. I uploaded them to Pbase yesterday after sizing them 800x433 pixels in Photoshop, according to a post from Uncle Frank. Then I used the "insert image" icon to add the photos to this site. Do you think that the size may affect their presentation? Or is there something wrong with the addresses?

Thanks for you patience. I'll try to upload them again and see if I can do better. In the meantime, if you have a thought about why they're not coming through, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks and God bless.
Doug

Hey, Lowolf,
LOL! You brought a smile to my face. I'm refilling my feeder once a week, now. I filled it on Sunday and it is more than half gone this evening (Wednesday).
I'm having great fun watching the birds!
Thanks for the kind words.
God bless.
Doug

Thanks, Lou. You really make me feel good about my first try at this! And I agree... that 2.8 glass is hard to beat.
God bless.
Doug

Thanks, Dianne, for your kind words. Aren't those feeders great!

Do you have any ideas about why the photos are not coming through for everyone? I mentioned in my reply to Jim Strathearn what I'm doing to upload. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
God bless.
Doug

Hey, base,
I'm sorry the images haven't come through. It seems I'm getting mixed results. I'm going to try to shrink them a bit and see if I can post them again.

God bless.
Doug

Thanks, radz, for the kind words. Of course, I chose the best ones of the hundred fairly crummy shots I took!

God bless.
Doug

Re-Posting the Photos

Here's a second try at posting the photos. I think I've isolated the problem.

God bless.
Doug

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom