My first bridal session

Discussion in 'People' started by srwatters, Jun 7, 2007.

1. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    And no, I'm not the bride :biggrin:

I know these are straight forward and 'boring', but I have to start somewhere...

And more importantly, this is the style she wanted. I think it's going to be a very traditional event.

The bride-to-be is Ms. Regina Evans. MUA is Rocio Vera.

FujiFilm FinePix S5 Pro, Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Opinions appreciated. Please give it to me straight!

2. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    Traditional and great lighting. Good job:wink:

3. I'd say you've done an excellent job giving her what she was looking for. I have no doubt she will be pleased... and then some. They are well posed for a traditional style bridal and the lighting is great as usual.

Is it possible that the S5 produces a slightly less sharp and maybe a little softer image than the Nikon? The only nit I have is they dont have the same zip and aren't the razor sharp photos I'm used to seeing from you. I want to love/try the S5 but pretty spoiled on Nikon's imaging. Maybe I've been looking at my monitor too long today... :wink:

4. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

Very nice. I like the first one, and the pose in the third one is nice as well. However, I find the fake eyelashes to be distracting in #3 (I know, I'm nit picking quite a bit here). They seem kind of awkward, and don't fit in with the rest of her face. I think the main reason for this is that we're viewing them from above, which we wouldn't normally do. I never quite understood the real need for fake eyelashes, but maybe that's just me (my ex-g/f is a dancer, so I've seen plenty of them).

You did a great job of preserving the whites while bringing detail into some of the darker areas.

5. bryan

bryan Guest

you should invest in a reflector to help fill in those shadows.....

6. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

excellent work...

if you dont mind me asking.. what was the lighting set up for this shoot...?

7. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Paul.
    Thanks Brian. This was my first 'real' shoot with the S5, so my post processing needs to change slightly. These came from 12.1MP files so it's possible that like when I switched from the D70 to D200, I need to sharpen more in PP. They should get better as I shoot more. Having said that, I wanted these to be a little softer for bridals.
    Thanks Zach. Regina is also a makeup artist, and this look is what Rocio and she came up with.

The DR on the S5 is amazing. I love looking at wall to wall histograms right out of the camera. I did no levels adjustments to these!
    Thanks Maurice. The lighting is very simple. A single key light with 48" octobox camera left. Fill is by a 5' octobox that is not turned on (reflector). The kicker is a 16x48 strip 180 degrees opposite the key.
    Bryan, is this an attempt at sarcasm or an honest critique? If you would be so kind as to elaborate, I'd appreciate it.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Very nice, only one thing bothering me. The crop on the second one, her arm being cut off just above the elbow and the angle leading out of the frame to what seems like behind her. Maybe a different crop or if it was angle forward?

9. Beth

Beth

Nov 13, 2006
    Kansas
    So classy! The first one takes my breath away.

10. Scotty_R

Scotty_R

Jan 1, 2006
    Virginia
    Lovely, traditional posing of a beautiful bride. The only disappointment is that there is little or no separation from the background which makes the images look rather flat to me. You mention that you used a kicker 180 degrees to the key, but I can't see what it kicks. A hair, back or veil light, or some combination of the three would work well here.

11. Very nice Scott!! The detail in the dress is incredible!!! Great job, I'm sure the bride will be very happy with these.

12. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    You're right. I've tried 8x10, 8x12, and 11x14 crops and I can't get one I really like. The pose needs to be different to get a better composition. I saw the idea in a brides magazine, but clearly did not execute it correctly.

13. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Might I ask if you're using calibrated equipment to view these? I've viewed them on three different calibrated monitors on both PC and Mac platforms and see plenty of separation between the BG and her hair.

If your preference is for the 'shiny hair' looking highlights, then I see your point, but that isn't my style nor what I was going for here.

Thanks for your comments.

14. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Keith. She seems to be happy with them. I'm waiting for her mother to decide on the size and quantity of prints.

15. Scotty_R

Scotty_R

Jan 1, 2006
    Virginia
    Certainly my equipment is calibrated. I was simply expressing an opinion. My remarks were not meant to be offensive, which clearly they were. Please accept my apology.

16. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    I'm not offended in the slightest. If you prefer images with stronger hair or rim lighting, that's certainly valid. I asked the calibration question because I quite often see comments about a lack of separation when viewers have the gamma set way off or the brightness cranked too high.

I'm sorry if I in some way offended you. It certainly was not my intention.

17. I think you've set the bar quite high in the past and it's just a matter of the Fuji giving these a little softer image than what we are used to seeing from you and that is why a couple questions popped up. Of course there is always the possibilty that I'm way off base... :biggrin:

I think the lighting and exposure are perfect (as usual) :wink:

18. #1 is nice Scott, #2 I know the intention is to show the ring, but she looks unnatural. #3 is simply great. That S5 did a great job with the whites and the detail.

19. Simply beautiful work Scott. I would guess that the bride was thrilled with these.

20. Guys aren't supposed to. Just enjoy the total package. Leave the details to the ladies and their MUAs.