My first Brown Hawker!

I don't know where they have been all my life as they are very common but I finally caught up with one this morning :smile:

A male Brown Hawker - Aeshna grandis (is it me or do these look a bit Autumnal already?)

622300358_kEYBs-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

622301533_FKEoN-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D300, 60mm AF-S, SB400

I do like your shots. Surprising as it may seem after our wet summer that tree looks as if it hasn't had enough water !!

Thank you Charlie. This was in a corner of Hampstead Heath where at least three different species of Dragonfly seem to congregate. There is a fallen tree there surrounded by brambles which has been a good site for Common darters recently (as it was today) but this is the first time I've seen one of these there.

Nice shots!

The season of photographing these hasn´t even start yet and you already got one! :biggrin:

I mean I don´t even try these yet, I´m waiting September-October, that´s the right time to shoot these as weather gets cooler they are quite calm fellows then...

Thanks everyone - thanks Jukka. I think I was very lucky then! It's true he didn't stay around very long.
I saw several Migrant Hawkers (which wouldn't sit still) and countless Common Darters (which would) in that same pretty confined but very sunny corner. I was amazed at how high some of them were flying. I'll hopefully post some Common Darter shots in a day or two - they always seem to let me get incredibly close :smile:

Nice catch Counter. They are pretty hard to catch. I get very few shots of them every year although I see a lot of them. Very skittish dragonfly.

Latest threads

Top Bottom