My first butterfly shots

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Phil K, Oct 12, 2005.

1. These are taken with the 70-200VR in Hong Kong Ocean Park. Now I know how difficult it is to shot the butterflies.

original.

original.

2. these are great Phil!

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Very good fist attempt. I use a Kenko ext tube on my D100 with the 70-200 VR when I shoot the butterflies. I also use a flash as the light isn't the best. The tube allows a closer focus, so you can get in a little tighter.

4. These are nice, Phil!

I have found also butterflies to be extremely difficult to photograph, mostly because they are so shy.

5. Thanks Dave, Baywing and Jukka for looking, and the kind words.

I don't have an extension tube, and I forgot to bring my 500D filter. It's not easy to photography the butterflies, esp when you have 2 kids jumping around you urging you to take them to see the dolphins.

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Nice shots! I'm glad someone is getting to use their 70-200VR....mine is just waiting for me to get my strength back......

7. Thanks Ken. I sincerely wish that you will have a speedy recovery and shoot again. Miss your photos.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Pretty butterfly and flower. Intersting colors.

I remember chasing my first butterfly for half an hour with my cp5000...lol

Oy yeah they are tough subjects.

Good job.

9. Thanks, Gale.

Chasing for half an hour.. lol. I don't think I can do that with the D2X and 70-200VR :biggrin:

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Phil,
    Don't think I could do it with the big gear either.

11. Callie

Callie Guest

Hi Phil
    Thanks for the welcome
    Love your leps, very good dof and detail, love macro work, but normally shoot with the 80-400 OS Sigma. I also shhot them with the 120-300 with 2x converter at 600 mm. Allows you to be a bit further away from your suject.
    Regards

12. Thanks Callie. Your photos are beautiful, and I love to see more.