My first cicada

Thank you also to Aaron, Bill, John Emoyeni and Louie!

I just now learned from a friend that the three tiny, red things between the two eyes arranged like points of a triangle (easiest to see in the first photo) are three additional eyes.

Last edited:
Real Name
Aaron
A little recipe if you have any more cicadas available:

Salsa de Chicharra Asada

10 cicadas (or more)
4 small tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 jalapeño
A few tablespoons chopped cilantro
Salt to taste

Roast the tomatoes, garlic, and jalapeño in a hot oven or a skillet until they're charred and softened. While they cool, toast the cicadas briefly in the skillet and then pound them in a mortar. Peel the garlic and add it and the chili and pound into a paste. Add the tomatoes and crush them until you have a chunky consistently, swimming with insect parts. Stir in the cilantro and salt to taste.

Works best with tender nymph and juvenile cicadas; adult cicadas give a crunchier texture for a bit more exotic experience.

😇

A little recipe if you have any more cicadas available:

Salsa de Chicharra Asada

10 cicadas (or more)
4 small tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 jalapeño
A few tablespoons chopped cilantro
Salt to taste

Roast the tomatoes, garlic, and jalapeño in a hot oven or a skillet until they're charred and softened. While they cool, toast the cicadas briefly in the skillet and then pound them in a mortar. Peel the garlic and add it and the chili and pound into a paste. Add the tomatoes and crush them until you have a chunky consistently, swimming with insect parts. Stir in the cilantro and salt to taste.

Works best with tender nymph and juvenile cicadas; adult cicadas give a crunchier texture for a bit more exotic experience.

😇
You rock!

I found a recipe for fried cicadas that I would be willing to try if it weren't for the certainty that my wife would immediately divorce me. The other problem is that it recommends using cicadas that have so recently emerged that they are still a light brown color, as opposed to the cicada in my photo that is an adult, so to speak. I haven't seen any of those young cicadas. If I were to fry them, I would modify the recipe to use an air fryer.

Real Name
Aaron
I found a recipe for fried cicadas that I would be willing to try if it weren't for the certainty that my wife would immediately divorce me. The other problem is that it recommends using cicadas that have so recently emerged that they are still a light brown color, as opposed to the cicada in my photo that is an adult, so to speak. I haven't seen any of those young cicadas. If I were to fry them, I would modify the recipe to use an air fryer.
I have eaten and enjoyed cricket tacos — Yes, actual crickets... and lots of them! — among many other unusual things. Without seasoning, crickets have very little flavor, and I suspect most similar exoskeleton insects would be about the same. Cicada salsa, or even fried cicadas, would be something I would try at least once. That salsa recipe originally called for stink bugs, so cicadas might be an improvement...

But more to your point, should I try to prepare any kind of meal based on insects in my house I would most assuredly be in dire straights with the wife! 😂

I spoke to my childhood friend, who shares my love of cooking, about a recipe for cicadas. We decided that I will freeze lots of cicadas and that we will bread them and fry them the next time we get together. That will occur at least three months from now.

They're HEEEERRRREE....in my neighborhood!! I was walking up to the mailbox and idly thought, "gee, I still haven't seen any Cicadas!" when all of a sudden, oops, indeed there was one squirming around on the sidewalk in front of my wondering eyes! Around the mailbox kiosk area is the common grounds and of course lots of trees, so no surprise that as I got closer I saw another....and another.....and another..... Didn't have a camera with me, or my iPhone, but I figured I'll undoubtedly have plenty of opportunities to capture photos of these guys anyway!

Great photos!

I have probably only seen about 10 actual cicadas thus far. I’m beginning to feel like all the hubbub is a bit anti-climactic….or should we still “wait for it”….?

I have probably only seen about 10 actual cicadas thus far.

They're not yet prevalent but they probably will be. Even so, I've easily seen at least 100 of them each of the last three days. It took me only five minutes to put about 25 of them in a jar today and those were only the cicadas that were conveniently on my neighbor's fence.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom