My First Commercial Shoot (Long Post)

The last one is outstanding. Any parent would be proud to have that portrait. With respect to the first two, the lighting in the second one far superior in my opinion. The shadows fall in the right places to help define the face. The first one produced too much shadow on the face.

Great work on the last two.
Walter, thank you so much. I really appreciate the comments!

Excellent job John!! Looks like the Day 2 adjustments really worked well for you! I'm sure you'll have many proud parents that would be extremely pleased with the results.

I just picked up an AB800, and I will probably be bringing my SB800's with me the next time I try it out. I was able to use it with an umbrella, but didn't really like the results and I pick up my octabox today. I've got lots of experimenting to do!!! If I can get results even close to yours, I'll be fine!!

Once again, excellent job!!

John, your second day shots are excellent, congratulations on a successful shoot. Your setup for these these shots is pretty much what I use as well. I move my key softbox in quite close to the subject. The last image is really good and I bet the parents loved it.

Excellent job John!! Looks like the Day 2 adjustments really worked well for you! I'm sure you'll have many proud parents that would be extremely pleased with the results.

I just picked up an AB800, and I will probably be bringing my SB800's with me the next time I try it out. I was able to use it with an umbrella, but didn't really like the results and I pick up my octabox today. I've got lots of experimenting to do!!! If I can get results even close to yours, I'll be fine!!

Once again, excellent job!!
Keith, thanks. I'm interested to see how your AB800 turns out. The softbox really helps to control light...much more so than the umbrella.

John, your second day shots are excellent, congratulations on a successful shoot. Your setup for these these shots is pretty much what I use as well. I move my key softbox in quite close to the subject. The last image is really good and I bet the parents loved it.
Gordon, thanks. You were my inspiration for the Wescott softbox! Yeah, the mom called me today about that last picture...I knew I liked photography for pictures of my kids, but it really made me feel good to talk with her and what she planned for the shot of her girls...

I tried to put the softbox closer to the kids, but it was too distracting for them...so I had to move it back out...and thus only f4...but the results are pretty good...

This post is packed full of valuable information - thanks for taking the time.

The shot of the two girls is simply gorgeous. You have provided their parents with more than a photo that documents the school year - you gave them a piece of art. They were really lucky to get you - not a compliment, just a fact my friend.

This post is packed full of valuable information - thanks for taking the time.

The shot of the two girls is simply gorgeous. You have provided their parents with more than a photo that documents the school year - you gave them a piece of art. They were really lucky to get you - not a compliment, just a fact my friend.
:redface: Thanks, Fred. I'm still at the point where images of mine that look like that take my by surprise...but I appreciate the comment...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom