My first crack at baseball...ever....

My friend has a kid in LL...8&9 year olds....He is thinking he needs a DSLR and I have looking at the D200....he asked me to come to his kids game on Monday.

I never shot anything quite like this...not a lot of action during the game.....here is where I ended up:

Strike 1
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Strike 2

Strike 3

#4 FINALLY a HIT!

#5 some pitching:

#6 This kid was pitching with a broken nose from last week....tough....

#8 and some chin music to end the day.......

#9...and my friends kid......

#11...I forgot the catcher! These guys do all the work.....

I hear you Randy, I can't say that I have shot any baseball either...although HS softball was fun. I want to try some LL baseball just because I think the kids would be a hoot.

#5 is awesome and has shades of Mike Mac!

I hear you Randy, I can't say that I have shot any baseball either...although HS softball was fun. I want to try some LL baseball just because I think the kids would be a hoot.

#5 is awesome and has shades of Mike Mac!
Thanks Mason....but Mike crops closer than I am used to...perhaps more like this?

Cropping is a very personal issue...it defines each shooter's personality. I remember when I first started shooting sports, I asked a couple of members from Sportsshooter.com to critique my shots and they both said crop tight, tighter and even tighter. I was really confused why cropping tighter was so necessary, but now that I have seen such wonderful shots posted here, cropping tight is a way of life. It makes the action pop out of the frame and it highlights the player....the real reason why we took the shot in the first place. Tight isn't always the best idea maybe, but I like tight crops in general and your revised version, Randy, is sweet. Oh....the catcher shot is just plain awesome.

Thanks Mason....but Mike crops closer than I am used to...perhaps more like this?
Yep, that's the ticket :smile:

Much easier shooting outside isn't it? Hmmm, you're the marketing genius. You need to sell those folks on outdoor gymnastics :tongue:

Yep, that's the ticket :smile:

Much easier shooting outside isn't it? Hmmm, you're the marketing genius. You need to sell those folks on outdoor gymnastics :tongue:
Considering the gym temp was 90+ during practice last night, I suspect I might have a real chance to convince them to do just that!....and with my luck they would perform after dark :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there Randy
Great first try, you did well, I love the 2nd crop you did, I have found that don't worry about cutting off the bat or such or shooting a pitcher vertically and cropping at the waist, as Frank mentioned it is to a personal taste.
The tighter the shot the less distractions in the background.
You should be thrilled with these.
BTW I posted my cam settings and PP in the other thread, you had mentioned you would be interested in seeing what I do, any questions let me know.

Hey there Randy
Great first try, you did well, I love the 2nd crop you did, I have found that don't worry about cutting off the bat or such or shooting a pitcher vertically and cropping at the waist, as Frank mentioned it is to a personal taste.
The tighter the shot the less distractions in the background.
You should be thrilled with these.
BTW I posted my cam settings and PP in the other thread, you had mentioned you would be interested in seeing what I do, any questions let me know.
Thanks Mike.....I appreciate you posting your settings. I get really confused when I have actual light to work with! Not used to that at all. Having a reference is priceless and I appreciate you sharing.

Thanks Topher......still learning. Girls Softball this weekend. Never did that before either.

I messed around with some shots at lunch...and I guess the close crops work, but I seemed so darn close with the 300 f2.8 & a TC, and yet I am cropping. I need to re-think my positioning a bit.

Hey Randy,

Great work. It doesn't matter if it's your first time out or not, you're a natural in this arena be it baseball, gymnastics or anything moving dressed in sportswear. :smile:

It's good to see you back here posting. Keep them coming.

Hey Randy,

Great work. It doesn't matter if it's your first time out or not, you're a natural in this arena be it baseball, gymnastics or anything moving dressed in sportswear. :smile:

It's good to see you back here posting. Keep them coming.
Thanks Tyrone.....very kind words.....it is nice to shoot something that is not lit by electrical lighting :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom