My first crack at baseball...ever....

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by GBRandy, May 29, 2007.

1. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    My friend has a kid in LL...8&9 year olds....He is thinking he needs a DSLR and I have looking at the D200....he asked me to come to his kids game on Monday.

I never shot anything quite like this...not a lot of action during the game.....here is where I ended up:

Strike 1
    [​IMG]

Strike 2
    [​IMG]

Strike 3
    [​IMG]

#4 FINALLY a HIT!
    [​IMG]

#5 some pitching:
    [​IMG]

#6 This kid was pitching with a broken nose from last week....tough....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#8 and some chin music to end the day.......
    [​IMG]

#9...and my friends kid......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#11...I forgot the catcher! These guys do all the work.....
    [​IMG]

2. That catcher shot is priceless, I'm sure his parents would love it!!

3. I hear you Randy, I can't say that I have shot any baseball either...although HS softball was fun. I want to try some LL baseball just because I think the kids would be a hoot.

#5 is awesome and has shades of Mike Mac!

4. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks Mason....but Mike crops closer than I am used to...perhaps more like this?
    [​IMG]

5. I think all of the shots of the pitchers and the catcher are excellent and I love the tight crop above.

6. Yes Yes, that's it. I noticed my crops were not as tight as I would have liked, but at the end of the season when I posted here:mad:

That picture with the crop...that's the ticket!

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Cropping is a very personal issue...it defines each shooter's personality. I remember when I first started shooting sports, I asked a couple of members from Sportsshooter.com to critique my shots and they both said crop tight, tighter and even tighter. I was really confused why cropping tighter was so necessary, but now that I have seen such wonderful shots posted here, cropping tight is a way of life. It makes the action pop out of the frame and it highlights the player....the real reason why we took the shot in the first place. Tight isn't always the best idea maybe, but I like tight crops in general and your revised version, Randy, is sweet. Oh....the catcher shot is just plain awesome.

8. Yep, that's the ticket :smile:

Much easier shooting outside isn't it? Hmmm, you're the marketing genius. You need to sell those folks on outdoor gymnastics :tongue:

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL

Now this was a good statement! :tongue:

10. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Considering the gym temp was 90+ during practice last night, I suspect I might have a real chance to convince them to do just that!....and with my luck they would perform after dark :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2007
  11. Hey there Randy
    Great first try, you did well, I love the 2nd crop you did, I have found that don't worry about cutting off the bat or such or shooting a pitcher vertically and cropping at the waist, as Frank mentioned it is to a personal taste.
    The tighter the shot the less distractions in the background.
    You should be thrilled with these.
    BTW I posted my cam settings and PP in the other thread, you had mentioned you would be interested in seeing what I do, any questions let me know.

12. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks Mike.....I appreciate you posting your settings. I get really confused when I have actual light to work with! Not used to that at all. Having a reference is priceless and I appreciate you sharing.

13. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

wow nice work here !!

14. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks Topher......still learning. Girls Softball this weekend. Never did that before either.

I messed around with some shots at lunch...and I guess the close crops work, but I seemed so darn close with the 300 f2.8 & a TC, and yet I am cropping. I need to re-think my positioning a bit.

[​IMG]

15. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Well done Randy!

16. Hey Randy,

Great work. It doesn't matter if it's your first time out or not, you're a natural in this arena be it baseball, gymnastics or anything moving dressed in sportswear. :smile:

It's good to see you back here posting. Keep them coming.

17. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks Tyrone.....very kind words.....it is nice to shoot something that is not lit by electrical lighting :)