My first crack at tennis....

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by GBRandy, May 6, 2007.

1. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2007
  2. Randy, I don't have any tennis angles input but I like these shots, It seems you're abit warmer up there than we are down here. My son had 2 baseball games and my daughter played in 6 soccer games (tournement) this weekend. We wore winter coats all weekend. Ridciulous east wind off the Lake freezing us to the bone.
    So how is it up in De Pere? Several decades ago I spent a couple years drinking the finest St. Norbert's had to offer : ~ )
    +1 btw on kill the boyfriend !
  3. eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This has to be tough to shoot since there isn't alot of room to get an interesting shooting angle. Keep at it...the best is yet to come.
  4. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks.....No lake effect not quite as cold.

SNC is 2 miles from my office and my home... I trust you recall the Abbey Bar then? :) I don't remember much about that place....I was there often :Mysteriou

Boyfriend = bad....but I am just a geek with a camera now so I don't count....(until the request for keys and gas money begin) :biggrin:
  5. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Oh boy
    Now that is tough shooting
    Not sure I would even try
  6. Randy
    These look good you might want to search for a post by ALex Acena where he detailed out his lens choice and postions on the court.
  7. Hey, these are pretty good. Appears they'll let you shoot from courtside? If so, maybe crouched down at net towards player with that fancy 135 f2 or yours :smile:

I am so not ready for the boyfriend thing. Thank gawd my daughter is 11 and has older brothers that would be the bejeezus out of any boy getting out lf line :Dizzy:

Oh yeah, I really like shot# 2, side shot of your daughter serving.
  8. Gee Randy,

You just got done with gymnastics, now tennis! Don't you just love how these kids of ours have to be in sports all the time?? Well, it could be worse, huh?

Boyfriends!!! My daughter is 17, with 3 older brothers. I feel sorry for the boys, but not too much. When she says she has a new date, I always ask if she told him I have guns. I think she gets the message.

Really like the shots. Getting angles with the net in the way is going to be a challenge, I can see that.

Looking forward to the season. I'm sure you'll do as great with the images as you have seemed to figure out with gymnastics.

Best Wishes,
  9. acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I shoot from three locations

1. Sitting on my but literally right next to the net. I use either a 28-70 or a 105 from this spot. Depending on the light, you can shoot both players this way.

2. If I am shooting first singles, I also shoot from the corner of the fence with a 300/2.8 or 400/2.8 and I am aiming for the far player. Shots of their backs just don't work for me

View attachment 94062

3. I also shoot from behind the fence directly facing the far player. I place a 400/2.8 right up against the fence and fire away.

View attachment 94063

Here are a few more samples of shots all taken from those three angles.
  10. GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks Alex....I read you entire post and some responses others. My 300 f2.8 gets a work out at the next event...much ot the chagrin of my daughter.

I appreciate all the advice....great shots.