My first day w/D2x edited images

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Scott Sherman, Apr 15, 2005.

1. In case you missed the first post. I used my uncalibrated laptop to post images while I was at work and was quite dissapointed with the result when I got home and viewed them on my desktop which is calibrated and a much better monitor. I left the other images on for comparison in my previous post.

So I have now edited the images from my home monitor a bit and I am at least a somewhat happier with the result. I must admit that this is my first outing with the d2x and I will have gained a greater understanding of the camera as a result of this experiment.

These images are a bit over manipulated to pull out some shadow and brighten them up a bit but they were not that good to begin with. So it's kind of a case of caka in... caka out. Thank goodness for lots and lots of pixels to jiggle around.

Please feel free to critique or suggest ways to improve.

Anyway, just thought it might be interesting to share for mutual experience and fun.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

Here is the orinal post with the original images for comparison.
    https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?p=21157#21157

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    These are pretty amazing Scott. A lettle better adjusted than the previous versions (even thought I thought that those were pretty good already....;-)).

Frank

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    These are excellent!

You did a fine job processing them. I have the same problem processing pics while away, using my laptop. It's colors just can't be trusted, esp the tone.

4. Thanks Steve and Frank,
    coming from you talented guys, those comments are high praise. Steve where did you take those great animal shots? Were they all in one place? It looks like Sea World in Florida. Very, very, nice

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    My pics were doen @Busch Gardens/Tampa Zoo, & a few on

the golf couses I played on. Thanks for the comps!

6. Where do you play golf, in Africa?

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Scott,
    Great job of pulling these pictures 'up and out' ...even though I agree with Frank,-- They were'nt as bad as you thought in the first bunch...but these are beauties.

For almost four months this summer I have to use a laptop. I'm kind of nervous now about how the pictures will look when I post them. I do have Gretag McBeth so will calibrate the laptop before I leave and then will have to ask you all to critique them for the color.

Good job, Scott,
    Gaye

8. That does look much better Scott. I remember when I was using a cheap uncalibrated LCD monitor and thought my images looked quite good. I was having a hard time understanding why my prints looked so washed out. When I finally bought an excellent high end CRT monitor and calibrated it my prints and my on screen images looked the same. Nice images by the way.

9. Much better Scott these look good very nice job....

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. thanks all for your kind words. I went to a PC to look a the images that I edited on my Mac. Quite a difference. My monitor is an Apple 23" LCD which is calibrated to my printer so that what I see on my screen is very close to what I see printed. But what is intersting, is that what I see on my screen is very likely significantly different than what you see on your screen.

I am curious how many use Apple monitors here and how many use PC computers. I am going to start a poll as a new thread to see. This could be helpful when posting images and editing for the two formats, Mac & PC. The PC registers a much darker more saturated image than the Mac even though my Mac is set to use a 2.2 gamma setting instead of the native 1.8 usually associated with Macs. It will also be interesting to me to see what the percentage of Mac users are in a photography forum.

Here is a link to the poll...

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?p=21312#21312

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017