1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My first DIF's!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Argent, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Well I apologize ahead of time for the 'grainy' shots - someone (me) left the camera on ISO3200 last night and forgot to change it back today....

these were hand shot, manual focus

ISO3200 1/2500 F8

and I haven't gone looking for an ID on him/her yet

kensington286.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 247110

and juuuust missed him...
    View attachment 247111

2. AnthonyRSS

AnthonyRSS

Aug 17, 2008
    Huntsville
    That is cool. Kinda looks like film grain-a classic appearance. How difficult was it to focus?

Anthony

3. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    oh boy....

AWESOME!!! Right now am trying to get anything insect/but in flight. I do have some BIF (bees), but I have tried logs for getting a DIF, and haven't nailed it yet. but those first two are great! and the first one is super.

Thanks, this now gives me inspiration !!!

great shot. (what lens do you have? Cropped?)

4. Shot with my 300 F4 - was easier to manual focus than to autofocus (would seek too long and the dragon would be gone) and the first two are slight crops for composition

I think its a Green Darner (Anax junius)....but I'll wait for confirmation from some of the dragon experts (its was BIG - like easily 4" across)

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Very nice, especially #1. It is sooo difficult. MF is the only way to go. I believe it's a Mosaic Darner - an Aeshna. Maybe Aeshna constricta male. Not sure though.

6. Hmm you seem to be closer Torben - looks like it might be a male Green-striped Darner (Aeshna verticalis)

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    great shots!! i was out trying to shoot some of these the other day and its harder than i thought it owuld be. Really nice work

and as a side note, i really like your watermark

8. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice stuff, it's a shame about the grain however we all forget and leave it really high from time to time

9. trwigg

trwigg

Jul 11, 2008
    texas
    As a newbie I am amazed that you were able to catch one in flight. Cool.

10. I stood out in the 90 degree sun and like 80% humidity for about an hour and only got these three keeper shots - so it wasn't easy - luckily dragons are mostly creatures of habit and this one kept patrolling the same area so I just sat there patiently sweating while I tried to get some shots - its easiest to catch them when they hover - instead of in full flight - this one was quite curious it seemed of me - and would often hover closer than my min focus distance.

Now that I have the 'technique' figured out - I'll be sure to be back out there to try again

11. good work! I'm thrilled to get a blob in the frame someplace....anyplace

12. Impressive, I know how hard this is to do. I have got to have another dragon hunt soon, thanks for the inspiration Paul.

13. hey no problems Tom - if it wouldn't have been thunderstorming here tonight I'd probably have gone out and tried again - maybe tomorrow...

it's quite the challenge - maybe once I get the larger species down I'll try the smaller ones....

14. Nice shots, Paul!

How was the Dragon behaving in-flight? Non-stop moving or hovering still every now and then?

I haven´t even tried those species which are constantly moving. With those species which hover still I have got some luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2008
  15. this one I was watching for about 30 minutes - never saw it land - it just kept circling around one section of the marsh - but it would stop and hover every once in a while and thats when I'd try and steal a few shots (when I could get it in focus)

16. Wail

Wail

Aug 14, 2007
    Saudi Arabia
    Wonderful series of shots, especially no. 1 ... very well captured.

So, does DIF = Dragons In Flight? If so, would love to see a thread started just to showoff such pictures. I love how the fly, and they are so impossible to capture.

Again, well done on this .. and thank you for posting them.

17. yeah DIF = Dragon in Flight

and I know of a few others on here that have captured some DIF's before as well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.