Critique My first drop art photos in "full color"

As I continue to take baby steps in my drop art photography, making just one change at a time, this is my first set of photos that was made using color in the background. That color was provided by two speedlights fitted with purple gels placed behind the background made of translucent vellum. Rather than using red wine for color in the liguid, I used a mixture of xanthan gum, water, a surfactant, and a mix of food coloring that produced a copper color.

My primary goal was to make photos where the composition is enhanced by the transition from dark to bright tones in the background.

All photos are the result of two drops that collided with each other.

Photo #1
Mike 2020-05-18--024-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
Mike 2020-05-18--033-S.jpg

Photo #3
Mike 2020-05-18--047-S.jpg

Photo #4
Mike 2020-05-18--074-S.jpg

Photo #5
Mike 2020-05-18--126-S.jpg

Photo #6
Mike 2020-05-18--128-S.jpg

Photo #7
Mike 2020-05-18--020-S.jpg

Photo #8
Mike 2020-05-18--084-S.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, these are REALLY nice images. Maybe they strike a chord with me due to my knowledge/work history with fluids. But whatever the reason I find them really intriguing. My personal preference leans towards the simpler ones. In this set I really like the first four. Very well done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you to Shekhar, John, Wade, Nick, Jim, Connie, Rick and Dan!

My personal preference leans towards the simpler ones.
That simplicity is usually my preference also. It's always great to be able to produce the tall formations, but when using water or liquid made primarily of water, they become a bit more complex than some of the shorter formations.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
These images are so enchanting! I particularly like #1, 6 and 8. However, I do disagree with your personal assessment. It seems to me you are progressing by leaps and bounds!

Food coloring is fun to use in shooting projects with water and oil or glycerin poured into a tall glass container, too......one can get some fascinating results! I did some of that earlier this year, it's a fun and easy way to spend a rainy afternoon! I've only got the four basic colors that I got in a package at the grocery store. I didn't realize there were more options out thee!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Mike, I think you've mastered the art of water drops. These are fantastic and the colored background adds special interest to each one. Love them!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom