My first Eagle shots..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Backdoctor, Jan 27, 2005.

1. A patient took me to where there is an Eagles nest. There are two adults and one baby. It was about 200yds away, and I would have got closer, but it is on the border of a mobile home park which is building new homes and by law they have to have an environmentalist there. He asked that I not get too close so as not to change their behavior. I did the best I could. These are shot at 400iso as it was overcast (of course), on a monopod with the 300 f4 and 1.4x. I plan to go back again when there is light. I hear they often just go out of the nest and soar around. They did some hunting and nest building while I was there, but one adult always stayed behind.

original.

original.

a little blur from motion on this as I was another 50ft away for this one, talking to the enviornmentalist when the eagle came back.

original.

wish I had a 500mm f4 now.

I'll try to get closer, there is a tree line about 1/3rd of the way in the preserve. I can hide behind the brush to not bother them. We'll see.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    These are great Harris considering how far away you are. The one where it is carrying the stick is my favorite. I like that you can see the babies in there too.

Nice!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    OH Harris,
    That is just so wonderful that you were able to witness this. I bet your were excited. I have yet to see one in the wild. I am so happy for you.

Great shots for the awful conditions and idstance you had to work with.

Cheers Pal
    Gale

4. l8nite4me

l8nite4me Guest

All of the shots are great, but the first one is my favorite. They always look so majestic when perched.

5. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Guest

Now I see where some of you are hiding

Great shots Harris. I bet you were excited. I got to go out with you on a shoot for sure.

Hope your back is better and look forward to seeing more of your images.

6. Well,

it looks like you got your first Baldie before I got my first Osprey :wink: , congrats. There is just something regal about even looking at these birds, isn't there? If you want to see some awesome Eagle shots go the Fred Miranda Nature and Wildlife Forum.

I'll be back up for more Eagles on Saturday, hopefully at a spot where I can be a bit closer for some feeding activity.

7. Thanks all. Now that I know where the nest is, I can go at sunrise and catch some action. Also, when there is better light. I guess I really cant venture closer, I dont want to be the cause of them abandoning the baby.

8. Fantastic, Harris!

Now you are talking! Just after our weekend together, I saw one of these beasties soaring around over a forested area of Orlando. I was working and just was able to look, but the contrast over the trees was a delight.

I'm glad you found the nest. I'm sure you can watch them and figure out where they go to get food, too. It'll be fun to see how you progress with your project.

Thanks for sharing,

Paul

9. Re: Now I see where some of you are hiding

Any time Greag, I would love that. I'm sorry you'll be missing the merritt island shoot, but we can plan something when the time is right.

Thanks

10. Re: Fantastic, Harris!

Thanks Paul, I plan to go back. It has been overcast every single day since shown the nest.