My first ever Friday Night Football

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by eng34ine, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Hi Guys,

This weekend I shot my first ever Friday night football. Man am I spoiled. It was very challenging. I was fortunate enough to go in armed with all the knowledge that I have picked up on this forum. Also a special thanks to Frank, who guided me with flash setup.

Here is my problem. I am not happy with the results. IS THIS THE BEST I CAN EXPECT?

All images but one is shot at: manual-1/[email protected] (300mm) ISO1000 (using Franks flash setup)
    One image is: manual- 1/[email protected] (300mm) ISO3200 with noise ninja correction.

Which do you prefer?
    How can I improve (flash or no flash)?

web65.jpg

web66.jpg

3. THIS KID IS THE #1 RANK HS QB IN THE NATION (#4 OVERALL)
    web67.jpg

web68.jpg

web69.jpg

6. THIS KID IS THE #1 RANK HS QB IN THE NATION (#4 OVERALL)
    web71.jpg

web72.jpg

8. (no flash) 1/250 @ 2.8 ISO3200 (noise ninja)

web70n.jpg

Please guys, really looking for input on this one!

THANKS

2. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Rolly, these look great. Captures some great action. Would love to see more without the flash. I personally prefer the look without the flash but that is just my personal preference.

3. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I agree with Ron, I like the look of the non-flash shot better than with flash. I think you might have had your flash a bit too hot on some of those shots with the lighter uniforms. Unfortunateyl unless you have a D3 or a D700 noise is still an issue as you have to push the ISO in these HS stadiums up to the 3200 or 6400 range.

4. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    What are your flash settings ? Is it set to manual.. Maybe dial the flash back just a tad and try to balance it out just a little.

I think these are great. Heck I'd take am if you don't want them.:biggrin:

5. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Flash is way to HOT set to manual 1/4 -1/2
    Or try dialing down ISO from 1000 to say 800 or do both

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I agree, I use ISO 800 and dial the flash power down to minimize burnouts. I think you will get better results with practice, but you'll be just like the rest of us working like a dog dialing in the right flash power as you move up and down the field.

7. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    Flash is too strong on many of these, but it does not look bad in the first image of your OP

#2-5 its just too strong

#6 & 7 where you dropped the ISO down to 800 do not look bad at all, the flash appears much less apparent.

I have always preferred no flash, but think dialing it down could give you results that would be much more pleasing.

8. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    you probabaly saw my post with two flash, I tried to keep it low power and lower ISO. I was able to get 1/4 power and ISO 400-800. two flashes give me 1.4 the power of one. I couldn't change the flash power easily, so I changed the ISO as best I could. I might actually jump back to the D70 for a few shots to be able to alter the shutter up to 1/500....

How low what your flash mounted? On a cord or PW?

9. Rolly,

I'd gel the flash to match the lights, having cool flash and warm lights in the bg doesn't look good. I agree with the other comments, drop the power a bit.

Overall, the flash shots don't look very good, I think your self-assessment is accurate. I'm not a fan of flash football photos generally, just think they look pretty bad most of the time. It's brutal light so there's not much you can do. I prefer the higher ISO shot without flash.

10. kURT, TIM and JOE thank you for your honesty. Fortunately I have you guys in this forum to speed up my learning curve. I dont like using flash. Even with TTL, the camera does adjust properly. It was very difficult for me to adjust to player on the move closing in their distance toward me (it was either too hot or too cold) Even though I had a hi-capacity battery pack, it seems the recycle time were not always there.

I really think I am leaning toward hi ISO. But I dont want to get whooped by flash, so I will keep shooting it until I figure it out.

Thanks