My first family picture with D300

Discussion in 'People' started by Spoony, Jul 23, 2008.

1. D300 with SB-800 speedlight. im new to the sb flashes, never used one until now. any tips from any members with this flash would be greatly appreciated, cause i know theres some really photographers here.

2691905166_2946d9999f.jpg

thanks for looking!

2. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    Looks pretty good to me for a first try with it. Did you have it pointed straight at them or was it aimed at the ceiling? Also were you using a diffuser? I don't use my SB-800 very much and need pointers too.

3. nicktak

nicktak

Jul 30, 2006
    Hi, was this with the flash angled at 45 degrees, possibly with a diffuser cap?
    The main reason I think that was the setup was because the light seems to fall off at the bottom of the frame (but this could be the vignetting applied in post?), and the slightly harsh shadows (such as behind the youngest child's arm).

For a softer look, especially indoors, I would recommend pointing the flash straight up and maybe to one side such that all the light hits the ceiling and wall to the right or left of you. This tends to give a softer, more natural light that doesn't cause specular highlights on faces.

4. Considering single on camera hot shoe flash, this is about as good as it can get. Well done!, and a very good photo too.