My first for 2006

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by RayGuselli, Jan 1, 2006.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi all

Went out today on a lovely day and decided to go the opposite to my usual "make a dreary day nice".

Today was glorious so I created something a bit more sinister to match the sad, derelict urban landscape.

Hope it has worked.

Two versions - any help, advice or comments as always appreciated.

Very best wishes to everyone for 2006.

Ray

As taken

[​IMG]

Version 1

[​IMG]

Version 2

[​IMG]

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wow.. I really like the second one a lot.
    Man you have a lot of talent Ray.

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Dave

Many thanks for your kind words - really encouraging.

I hope you enjoy SF and no doubt will get some great shots.

Never visited SF(or any of the USA) but sure looks fantastic.

Have a great holiday (or do you say vacation:biggrin: )

All the best

Ray

4. Scotty_R

Scotty_R

Jan 1, 2006
    Virginia
    It's nice to see both the original image and the and the second. Did you wait for the clouds to appear, or layer two images together? Either way, the second image is spectacular--warm and inviting--I kept looking at the image and wondering what was inside the building. Well done, Ray.

5. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Ray...
    That is really spectacular!! You are amazing at PP. I really have alot to learn. I am happy to color correct, crop and frame.... LOL

Don

6. This is really cool! Are you going to give us a tutorial on how you accomplished this?

7. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Very nice, I like version 1 the most :)

8. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Many thanks

The buildings were an old paperworks - long since gone but last used by the propertyowner to let to small businesses - sadly now most have gone because of the state of the buildings.

However, the site is earmarked for development and now worth mega- amounts of money as it is near the port and proposed marina.

As for what I did, well, concentrating on the coloured image I first cropped.

Then I created adjustment layers for levels, curves and contrast/brightness etc.

I adjusted each to taste including the individual colours channels.

Then I ran Painting with light and did this on different latyers to build up the image I wanted.

Then I used the pen tool to create an extrtaction of the sky and then replaced it by pasting another sky in.

I then adjusted this sky by levels and also by creating a colour layer to paint on to make it look quite menacing.

Then created a frame and that wa sit.

Now it seems a lot - but it took less than 1/2 hour to do - if that.

I am really pleased that you like it and as someone still dabbling on the edges of photoshop find this very encouraging. Thank you very much again - if I can help more, just drop me an e mail and I will always try to assist.

All the best

Ray

9. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Hi Ray,

You've done it again I see. Your imagination, not the techniques, is what makes truly drab, even ugly, scenes like this redeemable. I like Version 1 the best. The black and white/color combination doesn't work here for me.

Have you thought of a way to turn this one into a cheerful scene? That should really stretch the imagination.

Best wishes.

10. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks John

Always appreciate your comments - very kind.

To make this a cheerful scene - I am not sure what you could do John????

Maybe - after I have taken up your advice on the other post can have a try!!!:biggrin:

Kind regards

Ray

11. Ray

I am not familiar with "Painting with light". Can you point me toward an explanation.

Many thanks

12. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
  13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  14. Hi Ray,

I also prefer the second (full colour) one. I've have to try and learn your technique. Every attempt I make comes out .... yucky... (don't know how else to describe it) :smile:

One small point (probably just me) is the sloped horizon.

15. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks

Many thanks to everyone - I think the full colour is the way to go by the feedback - thanks.

Mike, I know what you mean about that Horizon.

I stood out of my car on flat ground and it actually seemed to be falling away - I know it is not possible but it (the land and building) seemed to be disappearing somehow.

I had a go at straightening and somehow it lost part of the feel. Also because the straightening would be at 8 degrees or more I was left with a major crop top and bottom or a lot of clonig to do - a tricky one!!!:confused:

In the end, didn't know which way to go!!!:biggrin:

Might have to have another look at that I think.

Very best wishes

Ray

16. Good Morning Ray,

I just tried it and it only needs 1.1 degrees CCW to feel right to me. Look at the vertical on the front of the building. I tend to have this thing for horizons.
    Anyway, I still think it looks great, as do all your other recent works.

17. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Mike

Just realised, I got my figure by trying to pull the horizontal in - oooooops!!!!

No wonder I was at 8 degrees.

Now I look at the vertical you have pointed out and that makes sense.

As I said, it was odd really because that rof seems to be falling away dramatically but by looking at the vertical you refer to it makes sense - the roof should be like that but I need to pull that vertical back - that should be a lot easier.

Many thanks Mike

All the best

Ray

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Boy it sure is so great to see Mike and Ray here.

What a great new year in the Retouching on Nikoncafe :>))))))))))))

19. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Very Nice

I like #2 version best but both reflect your great talent.

20. What a transformation. Like the menacing sky you inserted, good job.