My First HDR Landscapes

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by ultimind, Sep 21, 2008.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I've only dabbled in HDR previously... This is my first serious attempt at making a good-looking HDR set. Sunrise and Sunset along Lake Erie, east of Cleveland, and a few shots from the local park.

Would love to hear some C&C :smile:

3 shot HDR
    [​IMG]

The following two are HDR from a single D70 NEF file
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is 7 shots I believe
    [​IMG]

This is 11 shots
    [​IMG]

2. The second and last ones do it for me. Good, accurate colors though. I'm in Cleveland too, CWRU Campus :)

3. david, wonderful job there. i really like the last sunset one, and the 2nd single shot one. i have also been working on some HDR's, and i still have no keepers, i really have to get out to the beach or something to get a good sunset one. keep up the great work!

4. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    I agree completely with Shane.
    #2 and the last one are both stellar images.

5. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks all :smile:

I'm definitely going to be keeping at this HDR stuff... atleast until a camera mfg wises up and makes a camera that has a reasonable amount of dynamic range on the sensor :biggrin:

6. Very nice..... I like the last 2 the best.

What piece of software are you using?

7. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Very nice, and for a HDR newbie, you're well on your way to realize the true benefit of the software!

8. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Don - I'm using Photomatix Pro. Tried some of the other apps, but this one offers the best quality, for sure.

Murrey - Thank you! With fall quickly approaching, I hope to take many more :smile:

9. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I love the last 2!

10. These are looking very good for being your first HDRs. It seems to me as if they are lacking a bit of sharpness and/or contrast. Maybe due to resizing, but the latter one needs a bit attention (at least in my experience) as HDR lowers contrast and sometimes a bit too low for my taste. What I see quite often on Photomatix pictures are brighter halos around trees pointing in the sky which I'm happy not to see in yours :smile:

11. brucedane

brucedane

Jul 10, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I especially like the composition in the last two shots - how the shore lines lead me into the landscape. Very serene.

12. My favorites, too. Thanks for sharing these, David.

13. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Very nicely done . The last two are my favs

14. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks to everyone for your encouraging comments. :smile: Next time I get to go out shooting, I plan on doing some much higher resolution HDRs with my panoramic head.

15. You have done very well

HDR's are tricky, you seem to have avoided the overdone look, overall a very good first attempt.

16. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks Ron. I really dislike the "overdone" HDR look. It looks tacky in my opinion. Here's another beach shot from tonight. We seem to have a lot of trees on our beaches in Northern Ohio :confused: (These pictures are sort of mirrored in a post regarding the Sigma 15-30 over in Lens Lust)

[​IMG]

17. jlangiew

jlangiew Guest

Well done on the HDRs. Difficult with moving subjects (the swimming duck). Photomatix does an excellent job. Are you shooting using aperture priority? Since you're on a tripod (I hope!), try shooting at a bit smaller aperture to sharpen up the foreground. The colors are excellent, and photomatix seems to soften up images quite a bit during processing.