1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My first High School Senior session (gorgeous)

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by LindaZ, Aug 11, 2008.

1. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Not sure how "formal" those are but, I couldn't regard them as snapshots either.

I was no doubt nervous about this session. Since the subject actually stands still and does what they're told, the expectations are also higher.

For these, I used mostly my 28-70 and a SB600 on a tripod which was triggered by my on camera flash.

Feel free to give me some pointers and critique as I'm still a bit unsure about mastering flashes. And I really have no experience posing adults :redface:

Luckily, she was gorgeous...

These are the proofs, but someday I'll take the time to make some of them gallery worthy. They're a bit soft, since they're resized on the web from their full resolution size.

[​IMG]

I added some punch in Photoshop on this shot

p279703745-4.

View attachment 238532

View attachment 238533

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

View attachment 238534

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  2. The Ben

The Ben

Oct 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    can't see any of the pictures.

3. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Sorry Linda, all of the images say "Content Protected by Owner" and aren't visible.

4. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Doh...sorry. Brb

5. She is a beautiful young lady and you have done very nicely. She will love them!

6. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    great job! the shots of her in the black dress --- how far away was the flash unit and did you have a diffuser/umbrella on it?

7. These are really nice.

I want to hear more about how you exposed these and what sort of modifier you used on your flash.

8. Same here Linda, a) they're gorgeous shots and b) how you did it...I'm about to take my daughter's next month and am boning up on how to do this...

9. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Hi, Linda -- this is a great set & she should be very happy with them!

Best Regards,

10. These senior class images are most appropriate here and not only that you have done a very nice job in capturing them. The young lady is gorgeous as you have said. I think you handled the fill flash quite well. By way of critique, I might have tried a closer crop on #1 and #6. Thanks for sharing.

11. She is beautiful and I think you did a great job. I like to call my portraits with adults "relaxed portraits". Just tell them to be natural, have fun and relax...and the poses will come along.

One thing I suggest is when you're outside, esp. with the surroundings you have here, I wouldn't use a flash. Natural light is perfect and an amazing thing, if you know how to set your camera properly. I never use flash outside, and hate using it inside, even. It causes some distracting shadows (below the eyes, behind the arms and so on). Just a tip...but I doubt those whom aren't photographers would notice it, so I doubt it will make you lose sales.

Great job, again! I can't wait to see more!

12. She is beautiful Linda, and you did a nice job with these. Your eye is evident. In #2, there is a strong shadow behind her on the stall door that is distracting. Not being one who uses flash much, I don't know what to suggest to alleviate this.....perhaps diffusion?

13. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    These are all really good. I too, would like to hear how you exposed these.

14. You know I'm not a fan of flash photography, but you did REALLY well here! There are a few shadows, but the sun casts shadows too..LOL! She's a gorgeous girl, and she'll love these!

15. Linda,
    You did great using the flash. I've had so much trouble getting a handle on it outdoors. I've resorted to using natural light because I could never get results as good as these.

16. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, I hope you are right.

I kept it about 10 feet away or so, and I use a Lumniquest Softbox (it's small).

Thanks Mitch, I think I used spot metering but I think I should have used Metrix.... or so I've heard :biggrin: I forgot to change! Not sure if it made that much of a difference. I used Manual settings on all except the first one.

Thanks, I'm sure you will do just fine...

Howdy and thanks Barkis - i hope she orders big :biggrin:

17. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks Gordon, you are very kind. I like your comment about the crops too.

Thank you Stacey, I too noticed the shadows behind her arms but thought the face looked a little better with the flash and I thought I got less shadows under her eyes with the flash. I will have to test to use both methods more often next time, and maybe seek out a better posing position for less shadow underneath the eyebrow bridge?
    I don't know how you do it Stacey! I have so much to learn.

Thanks! In #2 I actually also increased that effect for a more "trendy" look, but wasn't sure how it will be received by the client, but I guess I'll find out when she orders. lol
    I think the flash was too much to her side and I didn't set up the settings more carefully.

Spot metering, manual settings.... trial and error really. I shoot and chimp, which only takes a half-second really, so I don't mind doing it. I'm self-taught and it takes some time and practice to get it right.

Yeah, you are right, there's one shadow for another! It's not sunny here in Pennsylvania either. Which is good but this session was after 5.30pm so I think I felt I needed to help the natural light a little.

Thanks Terri, what I do is I tell the subject "Test shot!" and shoot. After that, I check if I got the settings right, and if I don't I adjust them again and usually after that 2nd or 3rd time I get it right and I can keep using those settings until the subject moves or changes position too much.

However, I do keep in mind that Shutterspeed will determine how much light will be allowed in the background and the Aperture will determine how much will be on the subject. At least, that's to my understanding. A bit tricky to remember, along with ISO as well. After about an 45 minute shoot, my brain fries and I forget what to do when. LOL

18. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Great images. She's a very pretty lady and should enjoy the photos a great deal.

19. It belongs right here. This set is professionaly done, and representative of the best of Senior Photo genre.

Most folks who are adamantly against un-natural light just haven't mastered the craft of flash photography yet. It can be strong, lending a "flash signature" to a composition, or it can be used in subtle fashion to enhance a portrait without calling attention to itself. I think you've done a nice job with it here. You might experiment with the location of the remote, as I think some of your shots may have worked better with the flash in the 4:30 o'clock position. And I'd recommend a light stand so you of the option of raising the flash higher, or using larger light modifiers.

These were my faves.

p279703745-4.

[​IMG]

You're right. She's gorgeous.

20. These are nice and you did an excellent job with the fill flash.

To get a natural "pose" I'll engage the model in casual conversation keeping the camera in my lap at the ready. While talking the model will naturally relax and when I see something I like I just say "Don't move" and I bring the camera up and start shooting from different angles giving the model as little direction as possible but repeating the "Don't move" request.

Another trick is to watch the model as she changes poses. This is probably the most "natural pose" rich time in a shoot. The body is in a natural state of balance but dynamic in arrangement. The model is unaware of herself and at ease... again watch and be ready with your camera and the "don't move" thing. Again, shoot from different angles and give minimal direction.

You should see when Stu and I used to work together... it was hilarious. He's trying to get the model to assume a pose and I'm going "Don't move, don't move!" The poor girls don't know who to listen to.

But we muddled through somehow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.