1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My first hummer pics

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Maji, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Finally managed to get my first hummer pics. Here are a few that I think were worth saving. Used my D80 with the 55-200VR. The Tammy 200-500 was not fast enough to focus on the speed gonzaleses.

2724423242_1408cf251a_b.

2724428178_20b70a0fe2_b.

2723603613_aff4d34223_b.

2723599259_14dd6a7741_b.

2724413504_cec8736c1d_b.

The images are mostly heavily cropped and not "denoised". Your comments are very welcome.

2. Maji,
    congrats, your well on your way, and thats exciting stuff to capture these lil beauties.
    Kevin P.

3. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Woohoo, congrats, love all of them but the fourth is super cute!

4. Marina

Marina Guest

Nice first try, i gave up on these guys long time ago! Kudos to you for keep on trying!

5. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    #1 is exceptional....nicely done.

6. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Nice images. These are beautiful creatures and well captured.

7. Very nice series, especially like the first shot.......

8. Fine first series. I still have to shoot these guys.

9. Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I enjoyed making this series... it is a challenge to photograph these guys.

10. i'm glad you posted these
    you have done quite well
    they surely made me smile

thanks for sharing

i de-noised 2 of them for you, to show you what you CAN do...
    i hope you don't mind
    i can remove them if you'd rather
    i changed NOTHING except did the noise reduction
    this was with NOISE NINJA
    a great program

344325473_3Av9W-O.

344325519_tGRVv-O.

11. Thank you Greg for the "noise cleaning". I now see the potential. I was worried about losing details, but should have tried. Thanks though for your time and effort for bettering the images.

12. Suggestion for the last phot

Your photos are a very good start and photographing the Hummingbirds is challengng but a lot of fun. If you have a pose similar to this again make a second photo as soon as the Hummingbird flies away. First photo focused on the Hummingbird and the second photo focused on the flower. Cut and paste sharp part of one image on the other and then process the combined image.

Jerry Green

13. Congrats on your first hummer shots. You must've been very excited. :smile:
    Keep on shooting and you'll get better hummer shots soon.
    Thanks for sharing.

14. Thankyou all for your kind words of encouragement. Photography is really a journey and a never ending process of learning. Thanks for the great examples here that provide the encouragement to go out and try harder.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.