My First Hummers

Discussion in 'Birds' started by racefan, Jul 7, 2007.

1. I have zero experience or knowledge of shooting birds, but we ran up on a situation this afternoon that required me to try it.

We were riding thru Lake Hope State Park in southeast Ohio and saw a sign at the Nature Center that read "Hand Feed Hummingbirds Here". We had no idea how that worked - assumed they were in a cage or something - but we found a place to park and pulled the cameras out (including the 300VR that just arrived yesterday:smile:).

As we walked up to the Nature Center we saw 12-15 people sitting around holding little tubes with red pipe cleaners wrapped around them. My bride grabbed this one:

Most were very still and staring at their tubes intently:

We had to ask - "Do they really come to those things?" - "Oh yeah, just hang around a few minutes":

What a blast! Maybe the new lens will turn me into a birder.:redface:
  2. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Those are the tubes the florist puts flower in it looks like

Great shots.
    What a way to get hummers.

I would love that

If you are good in PS you could paste a flower over that tube:>)))heehee
  3. Very nice shots Ron. And what a way to watch a hummer up close and personal.

And welcome to the Birders Club. :biggrin:
  4. Great job, Ron. I'll bet it was fun to feed the hummers, let alone shoot them.
  5. Fantastic! I saw a photo of a lady holding a red lid from a bottle and the hummers were going crazy over it. Guess it depends on where ya are to get so lucky! Nice shots!
  6. Thanks all - we had a lot of fun with that. There were several times when 3 or 4 people would all have birds feeding at the same time and then they would go for 5 or 10 minutes with no activity. One lady who had two tubes held together in one hand actually had a bird in each tube once - got some shots of it but not sharp enough to post.

Gale - Glenda thought those tubes were florist tubes also. In some other shots I can see that the hole in the top is really only big enough for the bird's beak - a really small hole.
  7. Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Amazing shots Ron. Looks like a cool place. :smile:
  8. Very cool!! I think my hummers are still getting used to me. I would love to hand feed them.
  9. Thanks for your nice comments Frank and Crystall. Phil might have it right about "Birders Club" - I was thinking overnight where to set up a bird feeder outside a sunroom window I can leave the screen off of. :Dizzy:
  10. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Very nice Ron,real neat to see but even nicer to get a capture of this way to go:smile:
  11. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The hole in the florest tube is small:>)))))
  12. Thank you Tim!