My first image using the new blur tool in DxO Nik Collection Perspective Efex

The title of the thread mentions a blur tool because that's what it is. DxO named it the Miniature Efex tool because the blurring can make a life-size scene appear as if it's a miniature scene captured close up using a relatively small depth of field. DxO also markets the tool as great for food photography, which is appropriate. I don't understand why in the world they don't market it for close-up flower photography because it would be terrific for making creative photos in that genre.

When I captured this photo nearly four months ago, I made everything in focus by using focus stacking. I just now applied DxO's new blur tool to force the eye to focus on a very small part of the image. The result would have been more successful if I had known I was going to do this before I released the shutter. If I had known that, I would have arranged the desserts differently to create a composition that would have taken full advantage of the style of blur I chose. Even so, it works reasonably well as a photo despite that issue. And I think it effectively demonstrates the possibilities for creatively using blur.

Notice that the area that is in focus could not be captured on its own that way using a traditional lens, though it might be possible to do it using a Lens Baby or something similar.

Mike 2020-02-15--030B-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Remarkable, Mike!
This option has existed in PhotoLab when ViewPoint is installed and of course in ViewPoint itself.
This is the first time I see this tool used for something useful!
Me, and all other users I know, considered this a tool for "spielerei"

That is VERY cool, Mike! Huh...... There have been indeed times when I've wanted to be able to use selective blur in PP and just haven't been able to accomplish that. This tool sounds exactly like what would be just the ticket!

ETA: OK, so I surrendered......went ahead and purchased the program and have a licensed copy of Nik Collection 3 now. :). First thing I did was to experiment with Perspective Efex and the miniaturization / blur tool..... My first attempts were not particularly good and I've definitely still got to spend more time with this but I can see how, with the right image, it can be very effective, even more so than just using selective focus with the camera and lens settings, as it can provide a bit more precision than is always possible at the time of shooting.

Thanks, Mike!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My first attempts were not particularly good and I've definitely still got to spend more time with this but I can see how, with the right image, it can be very effective
Like every situation, making the most of the tool requires thinking before releasing the shutter about how we want the image to appear. I was very lucky that I happened to have had a photo already made that put the tool to such effective use.

To get maximum use of the tool, be sure to learn how to uncouple the two solid parallel lines so you can move each line to anywhere in the image and can turn each line 360 degrees independently of the other line. That's how I achieved the look in the above photo.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
In PS one can create a new composite layer, apply a blur effect from several options, then apply a mask and paint with black where you want to exclude the blur effect. Controlling the transition from blur to focus is done by selecting the softness of the brush. The process is very quick and easy to do..

Like every situation, making the most of the tool requires thinking before releasing the shutter about how we want the image to appear. I was very lucky that I happened to have had a photo already made that put the tool to such effective use.

To get maximum use of the tool, be sure to learn how to uncouple the two solid parallel lines so you can move each line to anywhere in the image and can turn each line 360 degrees independently of the other line. That's how I achieved the look in the above photo.
Thanks, Mike! Yes, I only quickly rummaged through a few files just to experiment, but normally I would indeed be considering the approach when the camera and lens are in my hands and the subject is there before me. For some situations this could work really well but it doesn’t save an image that wasn’t shot specifically taking bokeh and blur into consideration beforehand. I pulled up an image with a flower nestled into foliage where I had not attempted to adust the aperture for bokeh and tried that one out with the blur tool just to see what would happen, and indeed it did isolate the flower more than in the original image and created a soft blur but overall the image wasn’t a very good one anyway, and was designed for the trash bin.

Another image, one which did have nice bokeh already, was another candidate for experimentation so that I could see if I could put bokeh / blur more precisely around the primary subject and isolate it even more, and that did work.

Thank you for the tip about uncoupling the two solid parallel lines! I figured that there has to be a way of doing that but I just hadn’t discovered it! Being able to move each line separately and independently would make the difference. I need to spend some more time just experimenting with this, since this perspective program is new to me. I also would benefit from taking time to read the manual, if there is one, and/or viewing tutorials!

Karen, I don’t use PS at all, and right now DXO Photolab Pro Elite is my primary editing tool. For those who do use PS, that technique you describe would be very useful to know, though.

In PS one can create a new composite layer, apply a blur effect from several options, then apply a mask and paint with black where you want to exclude the blur effect. Controlling the transition from blur to focus is done by selecting the softness of the brush. The process is very quick and easy to do..
I assume effects that can be produced in Nik's blur tool can also be produced in PS using the gradient tool. That's because Nik's blur tool is actually limited to applying the blur as a gradient.

I've never tried to figure out the gradient tool in PS or using the brush to paint with black or white. I should eventually get around to doing both.

Miniature Effect is also native tool with DXo-PL.
It IS? I haven't run across it, but then again I don't usually need to tinker with perspective in my images..... Huh, next time I'm in there I'll take a better look -- going beyond the simple and obvious straightening of a horizon line..... Hopefully the NIK Collection 3 and its perspective app has more to offer beyond whatever is in DXO PL's perspective tool! Thanks for this info, Nick, I'll check it all out....

It's part of Perspective, which comes with Viewpoint:

Also on the main menubar:

I can see from Nick's screen shot that the interface is at least slightly different in his Viewpoint than in Nik 3. Notice the two blur sliders in his screenshot located in the panel. In Nik 3, those sliders are attached to the solid lines displayed in the main window.

I sure do hope we eventually get to see a screenshot of Nick's Nik. :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom