My first Kestrel

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mike mac, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Today during work I drove over to a farm where they winter horses and have had a blast shooting them in the past when I got there I saw a Kestrel on the power lines along he side of the road. I snuck out of my car walked in the snowy field behind some trees and got off a few shots. I know this is not in a natural setting but this bird has been on the top of my list to capture for a long time. I was so thrilled. Shot with the D2X and the 200-400VR handheld. I will be going back better prepared to get some flight shots I hope.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Such a nice shot! They are so beautiful, perfect exposure too as always...

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Pretty littly guy he is.

GOOD GOING mIKE.

hEY i LIKE THAt big win for the Eagles last night...;>))))))))))))

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    He's a beauty Mike. I really like the last shot, but all are excellent. :smile:

5. OOOH now I understand it is not a Kestrel it is a Seahawk!

Sorry for the joke Mike I felt for the Eagles yesterday, nothing went right at all.

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Mike

One of my all time favorite little raptors and you nailed his colors beautifully!

7. Ooooh - I would kill for an opportunity to shoot a Kestrel. I had a chance for a Merlin a couple of weeks ago, but there were too many branches. I can't wait to see your next batch, now that you know where he hangs out.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The Eagles had the toughest game they have ever played or ever will...
    I felt really bad for them.

Haven't seen a game like that in yearssssssssssss!!!!!!

9. Thanks so much Andreas these guys are hard to get close to

10. Thanks Gale,
    that game last night was the worst performance I have ever seen, plus I just read Brian Westbrook is now out for the rest of the year

11. Frank
    I think these are one of the most beautiful birds there are, I hope to run into him again

12. LMAO wow We sure do deserve it we looked so terrible last night it was embarrassing and a special night retiring Reggie Whites number they should have done that before the game

13. Jim
    I love these little guys hoping to run into him some more this winter, might need to break out the blind

14. Rory
    This bid has been #1 on my hit list for a long time, I think these birds are so neat, I hope I can get him in a more natural setting and in flight

15. Gale they were terrible I saw H.S teams this year that played better, wow what a difference a year makes

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Outstanding shots Mike. I've been tracking this kestrel in the wetlands but haven't been able to get any shots anywhere this good.

17. Mike you nailed these shots. This is a beauty and I would love to get a shot like yours. Nice job.

Oh yes, some of us do not feel as bad about last night. You know Seattle has not had a good football team for many, many, many years. Well some would say forever.

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Mike,
    You
    sure had a dousing of snow for sure. I thought of you the entire time.

At midnight it was snowing harder and harder and harder.
    the snowflakes looked on my TV an inch big..

wow.

19. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Way to go Mike
    always feels good when you see a bird on your list of your have to haves and then to nail these outstanding images, rockin good feeling :biggrin:

20. Mike,
    Despite not being the most desirable perch, the exposure and clarity of the image plus the fact that you added this fine specimen to your cappture list makes this an oustanding capture. exposure is dead on!
    Dave