My first Model shoot

Discussion in 'People' started by Ppub101, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    Hey guys, This was about a month or so ago, my frist model shoot. I would please love to get some critique, and ways i can improve. I didnt have any reflectors or assistance or anything. So it was pretty hard with the harsh lights/dark shadows. (timing was bad), but I didnt have a choice.

Either way please let me know what you think, and let me know how to improve. Thanks for your time.
    Paul

1. Amy-8.

2. Amy-7.

3. Amy-5.

4. Amy-1.

5. Amy-2.

6. View attachment 17098

So let me know, thank you :smile:

2. Well done, isn't shooting pretty young ladies fun. My favorite is image #3 although it is a little too dark. The pose is excellent and I would have used an eyedropper (from levels) on the brightest part of her white pants to adjust the WB and exposure. Give it a try and see what you think

3. One of the first and best tips I learned applies to your first image: you almost never want to shoot women from below (inferior position) if you're shooting a portrait or headshot. This position makes them look older, more masculine, and accentuates their wrinkles. In your case the woman doesn't have any wrinkles, but it's still not a flattering position for her. Shooting from above (superior position) is much more flattering for women. Try standing on stool and shoot down towards her. The other photos are looking good, but definitely watch your white balance.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hi Paul, I'm rarely without opinion, so I'll be happy to give you mine :wink: I've been studying and shooting this type of photography for a while now, and have managed to pick up a few tips along the way, thanks to the good folks here, at the FM People forum, and at DPR.
    #1 has a good exposure, but I tend to agree w/Paul here, in that it's a classic "nostril" shot. I'd also crop the horiz. beam out of the frame.
    #2 is an excellent pose, but needs to be lightened up in post, perhaps also try the S & H fix?
    #3 is is a very nice pose, boy is it a nice pose :eek: but again, just needs a little brightening up in post. It's a little "flat". I can't believe I just said that! :eek:
    #4 is spot on perfect, I wouldn't change a thing.
    #5 is also a touch dark, and I'd crop the left & right most trees away, and maybe even some more off the top.
    #6 isn't working for me at all, 'cause she's hiding all that great wavy blonde hair, and it looks "frumpy"? in this shot, and also this pose makes her chin look very prominent.
    Lastly, if I were you, I'd get used to shooting a grey card (in every different incident light) to get your WB correct. I've been using a WhiBal card, and like it a lot. Skintones are a bear to correct in post. Also, if your monitor isn't calibrated yet, "git er done"! Some of the shots are fine, some a bit red.

Very nice job overall, and a super nice looking model, please keep it up and keep 'em coming! We're all learning here! :biggrin:

5. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Great model,

She communicates well to the camera. Otherwise I have to agree with what was said above. Numbers 2, 3, and 6 could use just a touch more fill flash on the face.

Thanks for sharing.

6. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    When I first look at the photos they look great. Then I look at the critiques and take another look, Man what do you know, I learned something new. That is why I love this forum.

I thought nothing of the first shot but when I looked back after reading all the post, it certainly is a masculine shot (still beautiful). This is something I will soon be experimenting with and am glad that people can give there honest opinion when asked.

7. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Nice comments Steve. I've learned something today.