My first Odonata this year

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by alanhill, May 22, 2007.

1. On Sunday I visited the River Dee south of Chester, where some uncommon dragonflies and damselflies are found. I've never been dragonfly hunting in this area at this time of year before, so this was my first club-tailed dragonfly (Gomphus vulgatissimus). Not the greatest photo, but I'm pleased I got it.

Aldford001_057.

I knew I was in the right place at the right time (for a change) when I met the County Dragonfly Recorder leading a party from the British Dragonfly Society. We saw several hairy dragonflies, but they weren't in the mood for posing.

I did get some shots of a commoner species, the banded demoiselle (Callopteryx splendens) which I think is one of the most beautiful of all insects.

Farndon001_142.

Strictly speaking, these are not macro shots since I took them with my 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor and D200. I think the lens passed the test quite well, although it might do even better with an extension tube to get a little closer. I posted the shots in this Forum because I always think that insect photos belong here - I hope this does not offend.

Alan

2. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Excellent shots. Both of them are really beautiful.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Both very good images

4. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Nice shots, Alan!

I´m really waiting for G. vulgatissimus as well as two other Gomphidae to appear here, as they are my favourite dragons. Maybe couple of weeks to wait...

I agree C. splendens beeing one the most beautiful insects as well as C. virgo. I really love to watch them flying...

Yep, 300 f4 af-s works great with odonata and butterfly shooting. I use it a lot with Nikon 1.7x tc. I have tubes but haven´t used them with the lens...

6. mdsign

mdsign

Jun 14, 2006
    Netherlands
    love to see more of that 1st one. Like the composition of the 2nd one best.

cheer, Mark

7. Thank you all. I'm very grateful to Crystall for pointing out Scott Schexnaydre's wonderful shots.
    I hope I can improve on these shots soon.

Alan