My first official post! The thief - - I caught him in the act! Finally!!!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lil Judd, Jun 14, 2007.

1. So for months I've been chasing after this thief. He/She steals our dog's food (she's a slow & fussy eater) & he/she steals the few peanuts I put out for my subjects the squirrels.

Well, for months I've been trying to catch him/her in the act. Well - guess what. Today I caught him/her red handed. In the act. Well - the proof is in the can so to speak - - - or rather on the CF card & external HD as well as on the Internet now.
    Here we go....

D200 70-200 VR f/2.8 at 190mm f/4.5 1/320 s ISO 200. Natural & bounced light of white foam cards. Sharpening in camera...... I had been working on my "natural light" set up for the squirrels so I was READY. Here's full frame.

[​IMG]

Here's a 33% crop

[​IMG]

& here's the little guy/gal who's food the thief is stealing.... OK, I know it's the bird forum - but I think you need to know who lost their breakfast...

D200 70-200 VR at 200mm f/3.5 1/320s ISO 500. Natural light with slight PP.

[​IMG]

And the other one of my willing subjects

D200 300mm f/4 at f/4 1/250s ISO 320 with one SB-800 with diffuser dome (early attempt with flash off camera with the squirrels)

[​IMG]

C&C is welcome - I'm learning as I go but feel proud to say that I feel I'm getting better.
    Hope you enjoy.

Lil:smile:

2. Very well done Lil.

Color and Detail is outstanding

3. Your first is a great one. Nice story and shots!

4. Thank you Gary. Next to you, mine are humble & poor excuses for a post. But thanks for your comments.

5. Too kind....

Thank you for your kind comment. Story is true in every way.

6. Don't be so hard on yourself, These are really very good.

Please keep posting and watch the improvement with help of the group.

7. Thank you Gary. I've only gotten back to slr (now dslr) photography since January or there abouts. I've always wanted to do wildlife photography & for the first time in my life I'm really working on it. Granted in my backyard for now, but with time I hope to push the envelope. A little concerned as a woman to go out with such expensive equipment on my own so most trips will have to be when company allows. In the mean time I'm working on my skills with the help of the local squirrels, garden birds & hummers (a great passion of mine).

I read, I practice & shoot a lot. I test f/stops, ISO settings, speeds etc etc & am now pushing learning to read the light levels by working my histograms.

Seeing shots like yours are inspiring & very helpful.

Thanks again

8. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Nice job, Lil! Your hard work is paying off. I love western jays.

9. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Very nice Lil,see you are doing fine keep at it will be watching for more to come:smile:

10. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Lil,

I love the expression on the Jay, and the cute pose of the squirrel. Excellent capture. Very nice post indeed!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  11. Thanks Pia

Thanks Pia - you're most kind. This guy's been a pain to catch. Pia's an unusual name for the US. Would you be of Scandinavian decent?

12. Thanks Tim

You're very kind. Support, watching & reading in this forum & others has helped me come forward fast. A little every day more or less really helps. :smile:

Thanks,

Lil

13. Thanks John

You're very kind & I agree - the expression on the face of the Blue Jay is good. The squirrels have given me some very nice expressions in my effort to get them "down". One day I'll put together a squirrel gallery with their best poses. .

Thanks for noticing my humble thread.

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    1st, 2nd, or 1,000th post, these are good shots Lil. :smile:

15. Thank you Frank

You're right. Thanks, guess I was trying to stress how new I am to all this.

16. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Actually my mother is from Anklam, Germany, and my father's family is French Canadian. They needed a name that sounded the same in at least 3 languages and came up with Pia. It is the feminine of Pius, which is as old as the Romans. (My ex-boss is Iranian and he says it means 'lover' in his language. He can't say my name without smiling.)

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent shots and thief:>))

Both thieves:>)))

Your jay looks alot like out scrub jay. Scrub jays are very very friendly and will eat out of you hand with out coaxing. They are just a friendly bird.
    Put something in you hand , and there they are.
    Squirrels will to after awhile:>)))

I now have 9 thieves:>)) The furry ones
    They are very funny.

Your pictures ARE very good

18. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I was thinking along the same lines as Gale. These birds have some seriously pretty coloring and as tame as they are I would be working them daily if possible. You obviously are off to a good start as evidenced by your images. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

19. Thats funny Pia. Anyhow, Pia is a fairly common Swedish name, thus Germanic, name.

So Pia means lover in Persian. Learn something new every day.

Thanks

Lil:biggrin:

20. Thanks Gale

Thank you Gale,

I do believe he/she's a Western Scrub Jay. It's very skittish even after months. I can barely open the kitchen door without it flying away. I'll try working with it though.

I will work with the squirrels as well. Though I have to admit that in another forum I got blasted by a few for actually providing food for the squirrels as they're a pest etc etc & I'm making them dependent upon me. If the squirrel lives on 3 - 5 peanuts each day I'd say it's probably going to die. I'm just providing a treat as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you for your kind words Gale. I know you're a serious shooter & do some great work. I appreciate you very kind words.