My First Official Sports Shoot

Bradenton Marauders
First time shooting the baseball game. It was an overwhelming experience. I had a great time! Got to do it more often.

5788597149_a144d72d85_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 910879

View attachment 910880

View attachment 910881

These shots from the Home Dugout, to the west, hence the glare.

View attachment 910883

View attachment 910884

2 is the best shot, but like Darren not really feeling the rest. Start small, learn the game, what works best etc. Since it looks like you have access to this team I'm sure you'll be shooting more, but make sure your getting something out of it. Not worth it if your shooting for free or credit.

Troy,
Nice images, now get some more peak action like #2, most are sportraits which are a fine addition to a gallery, you need to get closer action like #3 (please number them so we don't have to count for ourselves, its easier to comment this way), you have the guy sliding in, no ball, no reaction from the second baseman, this shows you were WAY early on that shot. If the dirt is flying and you've got facial expressions and interesting body angles, then you might not need the ball in the shot.
Believe me, I've been to games where the most peak action comes during two plays in the whole game, 2.5-3 hours of game time and if you miss it you miss it. So plan to get a few good swing shots, pitchers pitching, and if you get #3 don't miss the ball, sliding into the base, the tag, etc., and you'll be golden.

They are ok, but only #2 could be really considered a sports shot. The others are good if you had an assignment where a story was being done about those players. Otherwise the pics are late in action, or too early. A safe but effective fall back picture is one of the pitcher. While the pics of the pitcher are standard, it does allow for you to work on backgrounds, action, facial expression, and ball movement as this is one position that is active at all times. I will usually spend one inning focused on the pitcher trying different angles and framing the ball release.

Thank you all for the great advise.
Official because this is the first time I got to shoot from both side of the dugouts, moved freely on the field.

It is a learning process for me. Thank you all very much. I love the critiques.

I am trying to get access for the remaining of the season so I can go shoot and practice.

Thank you all for the great advise.
Official because this is the first time I got to shoot from both side of the dugouts, moved freely on the field.

It is a learning process for me. Thank you all very much. I love the critiques.

I am trying to get access for the remaining of the season so I can go shoot and practice.

For this practice, are they paying you, or are you providing pictures to the team for free?

If you want to get real experience, I think you would be better off shooting youth sports where you don't have as many restrictions, are closer to the action, and have more opportunities.

I will go out a limb and say the majority of the best sports shooters that are shooting minor and major league teams started out shooting their kids, or friends kids while they play little league.

IF your goal is to get into sportshooter, they are not going to care the about the level of sports you shoot, but the quality of the shoot. A great t-ball shot will be better than a so-so shot of A-Rod.

For this practice, are they paying you, or are you providing pictures to the team for free?

If you want to get real experience, I think you would be better off shooting youth sports where you don't have as many restrictions, are closer to the action, and have more opportunities.

I will go out a limb and say the majority of the best sports shooters that are shooting minor and major league teams started out shooting their kids, or friends kids while they play little league.

IF your goal is to get into sportshooter, they are not going to care the about the level of sports you shoot, but the quality of the shoot. A great t-ball shot will be better than a so-so shot of A-Rod.

Jon, thank you. I am aware of that it is the quality not the level of where I shoot.
I got permission through my personal connection and I am happy to keep shooting there if they continue to let me do it. That will always open up more doors towards other venues perhaps in local schools. :)

Jon, thank you. I am aware of that it is the quality not the level of where I shoot.
I got permission through my personal connection and I am happy to keep shooting there if they continue to let me do it. That will always open up more doors towards other venues perhaps in local schools. :)

I would keep shooting there too. I'm just saying you are going to get much more practice shooting youth sports where you have more access, can move around more freely, work on backgrounds and you can better work on timing the game.

You might be the lucky one that doors do open to other venues, but at this level of competition your shots are going to be compared to guys who have been doing this for years. If you are not careful, it could close doors to you.

Sweet set! Great glow in all shots. The last two have a bit of haze that could be removed easily...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom