My First Photo Book (Macro Images)

I'd love to hear what you think. This is a 15 page preview, but the book itself is 40 pages with just over 100 photos from last year. I'm offering it to friends and family at a pretty small markup, but not sure how well it will sell. I guess we'll see.

Be sure to click the square with the arrows in it at the bottom right so you can see it full screen.
http://www.blurb.com/books/2158712

I'd love to hear what you think. It's my first time to do one of these...I already have a few things I plan to change for next year's book.

Well done, Nate! Beautifully designed. How is the overall quality of a Blurb book? I am mostly interested in the colors... do you find them to be accurate?

Wow - that's great. I like the images that I could see. Also the layout looks good as well.

Cool concept and theme - good luck with you project and let us know how it turns out.

Curious - where in Missouri are you located?

Very cool, I love the idea and congrats.

Thank you.

Well done, Nate! Beautifully designed. How is the overall quality of a Blurb book? I am mostly interested in the colors... do you find them to be accurate?

Thanks Shaun. I haven't received my first printed book yet so I don't know. I do know of some other photographers that are really good that use Blurb and seem to be happy. I will try to update this when I get it with a few pictures of the actual books.

Wow - that's great. I like the images that I could see. Also the layout looks good as well.

Cool concept and theme - good luck with you project and let us know how it turns out.

Curious - where in Missouri are you located?

Thanks. I will definitely try to remember to keep this thread updated as it goes along. I'm located in St. James Missouri which is an hour(ish) southwest of St. Louis and 2 hours northeast of Springfield, MO. Kind of right between the two cities.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Great layout and excellent images! Well done!

I used Blurb for a large coffee table book of images I took in India. I had about 57 pages. Colors and paper quality were very, very good.

Karen

Looks very nice. Great pics & the layout was very nice.

I was playing around with Blurb for the first time over the weekend and couldn't figure out how to do multiple images per page like you had. Guess I need to play some more...

Very well done indeed. Great layouts, and the added text makes for an enjoyable book. A friend of mine makes Blurb books of his photos and I've always been impressed with the quality. He recommends upgrading the paper - worth the price.

T

TimT

Nice idea. How does the quality of books from Blurb compare with MyPublisher?

Great book and good luck with the sales. I had a book printed with Blurb and was very happy with the quality.

Thanks for all the comments everybody. I received the books Friday and here's my opinions (I was going to post some actual photos, but wife wrecked her car Friday night so I haven't had time).

The 13x11 photo book is very nice. The hardcover looks great but colors are a bit muted do to the matte finish of the cover (it's not a gloss cover). The pages are really big and show the photos off great. The quality of the images is very good and I would say on-par with what I get from MPIX (except I print on Metallic with MPIX a lot which is obviously much nicer).

The 10x8. I purchased the softcover so I could compare. VERY nice. It has a glossy front and honestly looks nicer on the cover than the larger hardcover. However, one of my reasons for purchasing is for archival purposes of my best photos and the hardcover, I think, will be much better for that. For selling to people, the softcover is a REALLY nice option. This is the perfect size to comfortably hold and read (the 13x11 you almost have to sit and hold on your lap due to size). The detail and image size inside this book is still very nice and I don't feel like I'm losing much in presentation compared to the 13x11.

In short...both are nice, but I feel the 13x11 is a bit overkill and honestly a little too big. In the future I will be doing only 10x8's and will print a hardcover for the house to show off my photos and archive and print a softcover to throw in my laptop case to show off my work "on the go". I'd highly recommend blurb.

Latest threads

Top Bottom