my first photographic surgery, a success.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug, May 13, 2007.

1. Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    You are probably thinking I photographed a OR thing, right?

Wrong, the surgery was on photographic equipment and involved an amputation. I took a P-style filter holder and sawed it in half, reducing the number of filters it would hold to an absolute max of 2 (one p style and one rectangular glass.)

Why did I do this to something I just paid 10 bucks for? Well, to prevent wide angle shots from having the filter holder in the picture if possible. The standard P style is like 3 or 4 filters thick, and will get in a wide angle picture. So, I will keep one for 77mm that is standard and 1 for 77mm that is sawed in half. Others I keep standard. I have 4 total p styles for convenience sake so I don't have to change rings all the time...

Anyway, happy to report successful surgery again, without an ER trip. I was close to an ER trip, almost sawing me instead of the holder once. lol.
  2. Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    No Doug I did not think it was the OR...
    I was worried that the Leica would be in pieces.
    I sometimes modify things to do special jobs. Now you have a device that no one else has.
  3. Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Relax Pete, I would not saw your Leica in half just because I could! LOL. I fear that would not accomplish much. Pet is getting the Leica and will soon be spoiled for it's optics!

Actually, it was a guy at the local Wolf store that gave me the idea. He said he had a P style he did that too. You know, I just thought, where is my brain at. I used a hack saw and manually did this when I have the nicest scroll saw you can buy in my utility shed. I didn't even think about it, lol. I would have made short order of that work!

I have found that I really prefer P style to small rings, I can think much less about the operation of changing the polarizer position, spining the P style ring around, vs a circular polarizer.

I was scanning through some photos, and should have posted it, but I found one that was a perfect example of what the P style does on wide angle shots. Ugly, very ugly vignetting at corners.