my first photographic surgery, a success.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug, May 13, 2007.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    You are probably thinking I photographed a OR thing, right?

Wrong, the surgery was on photographic equipment and involved an amputation. I took a P-style filter holder and sawed it in half, reducing the number of filters it would hold to an absolute max of 2 (one p style and one rectangular glass.)

Why did I do this to something I just paid 10 bucks for? Well, to prevent wide angle shots from having the filter holder in the picture if possible. The standard P style is like 3 or 4 filters thick, and will get in a wide angle picture. So, I will keep one for 77mm that is standard and 1 for 77mm that is sawed in half. Others I keep standard. I have 4 total p styles for convenience sake so I don't have to change rings all the time...

Anyway, happy to report successful surgery again, without an ER trip. I was close to an ER trip, almost sawing me instead of the holder once. lol.

2. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    No Doug I did not think it was the OR...
    I was worried that the Leica would be in pieces.
    I sometimes modify things to do special jobs. Now you have a device that no one else has.

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Relax Pete, I would not saw your Leica in half just because I could! LOL. I fear that would not accomplish much. Pet is getting the Leica and will soon be spoiled for it's optics!

Actually, it was a guy at the local Wolf store that gave me the idea. He said he had a P style he did that too. You know, I just thought, where is my brain at. I used a hack saw and manually did this when I have the nicest scroll saw you can buy in my utility shed. I didn't even think about it, lol. I would have made short order of that work!

I have found that I really prefer P style to small rings, I can think much less about the operation of changing the polarizer position, spining the P style ring around, vs a circular polarizer.

I was scanning through some photos, and should have posted it, but I found one that was a perfect example of what the P style does on wide angle shots. Ugly, very ugly vignetting at corners.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.