My first pic post

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Ppub101, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    Hey guys I just joined a day ago, with an extremely nice welcome. I figured i would start things off with a bang. This shot I took this past weekend, and In my opinion is one of the best shots I have ever taken. However, I am always looking for critique and feedback, so i would love to hear what you think. I found this trail of the Blue Ridge Park Way in NC. Thanks for your time
    Paul
    River-with-tree-Touched-Up.

2. Hi Paul,

Let me wish you a belated welcome to the Cafe, enjoy!
    Your picture is very, very nice. I can understand that you are very proud of it. I love the misty background and the silky play with water.
    Allow me some critique: I think you shot with a polarizer (to get down to the desired shutter speed to get the water effect). If so, it might be overdone a tad. To my taste it has darkened the image a bit too much.
    Either go easy on the polarizer (bracket a few shots and see the difference) or you might want to lighten it up some in post-processing. The danger there is that with too much polarization, you might "punch some holes" in some of your colors, which will make it hard to end up with a solidly clean image.
    Now, if I am wrong and the dark look is intentional, don't hesitate to straighten me out :biggrin: :biggrin:

That said, I repeat that your image is very beautiful. I look forward to many more from you.

3. Paul,

Welcome. I joined a few months ago, but just started posting, although I've been learning a lot...

I agree with Frits, it is a dark image. Evokes Stephen King, Hallowe'en, Something Wicked this Way Comes.

Did you use a polarizer, or an ND filter, or just slow the shutter speed?

Regards,

Mark

4. being a mountain rat I like the feelings this photo generates. A rainy day on the trail, come around a bend and wala, this is what you see.
    Welcome to our fun place.
    Dave

5. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Howzit fellow Newbie? I joined just the other day as well.

I don't think this image is too dark at all. There's a very nice tonal range from light to dark. And as Dave said, it evokes a pleasant, somber mood; something you could easily find in the woods. Personally, I like deep, rich shadow area in most of my landscape images. My eye naturally goes that way.

The only thing I see that detracts from it is that It might be a tad bit oversharpened. That might have more to do with scaling down for the web and resharpening than anything else. Would love to see a large print! All in all a very fine image.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2005
  6. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    I did not use a polarizer filter, I wish i Had one. I can see how you feel it is too dark, however that is exactly how it looked in real life. Identical. Thats why im so proud of this pic. It was a rainy/extremely foggy day, and I think that I captured how it reallly was in nature.

My settings were F/22 at 8second exposure, with an 18mm focal length
    No flash, Manual settings, 200 ISO, White balance set on cloudy. Thanks for all the comments guys, I look forward to posting alot more !!!

Ohya as far as the sharpening i think it did that when i posted, because the original looks much better on with no oversharpening.

7. "So much for my technical interpretation :tongue: :tongue: ". Following your explanation of how the scene looked when you were there, I can only comment that you captured it beautifully, very moody.

8. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

And let's not forget that we're making photographs, we're not just little human xerox machines. A person's images should evoke the feeling and mood they want and their personal style. What exactly is reality anyway? Each of us determines what that is for ourselves.

For me it's always about the the image, not the scene it portrays necessarily. Is it successful compositionally? Does it convey a mood or feeling that transports me somewhere? Does it move me? An image must stand on its own merit. This one does.

And don't forget that we're all viewing images online. All of our monitors are displaying somewhat of a different image anyway. Some of us will have properly calibrated monitors, others maybe not. Ultimately this makes a great bit of difference when we view and comment on images.

9. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    welcome aboard and a great first post. As one who loves dark and moody (see my BW images to see what I mean) I love this shot. sometimes it is so satisfying to capture what was there and not what one thinks should be there.

Bravo, you moved me.

Wade

10. Hello Paul,

First off all welcome to Nikon Cafe and thanks for sharing this photo to start with. I love the mood of the photo it looks really good. I wonder if the picture will look as good if it was edited more with some color poping out. I think the mood of the picture will go. But it is at least something you can try if you have adobe photoshop by using selective color. But it is defineatly not needed to edit the photo.

So congratulations with this lovely image and i hope you will share more work in the near future.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

11. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Paul,
    Wonderful shot. Sometimes we try to post process a landcape shot to have it look like what we we saw and sometimes we post process to have it look like what we wanted to see. Either way, I believe landscape photography is not photo journalism, it's a creative art form. It's the final image that counts and yours is great.
    Mike

12. wonderful

I think it is a wonderful image and I would not change a thing.
    I hope you have it printed and hanging on a wall