My first pics here and first with D2X

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by tweber, Mar 12, 2005.

1. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    We've been busy putting our house on the market for the last month. It went on Tuesday and sold on Wednesday. So, today I got to relax for the first time in a long time. Here are a few shots from the zoo. More at www.pbase.com/tweber

I can officially say I'm having fun now. BTW, I shot these in jpg fine and they didn't require much more than sharpening and resizing.

Tom

2. Superb shots!

Congratulations!

I went to the Zoo last week as well, I found out that the Sigma 800 actuallis to loong for it...

andreas

3. Thanks for sharing your pictures with the Cafe, Tom. I enjoyed these first shots with your new D2X. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Your house sold in ONE day?!

Wow, that's very fortunate to do sell it so quickly. Thse shots are very crisp and sharp. What in cam settings did you use for these jpgs, ie, contrast, sharpening, and color mode?

5. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Re: Your house sold in ONE day?!

Thanks, Steve.

I had contrast set to low, though I think with jpeg it would have been better to have it on normal. Low sharpening, color mode II adobe, sunny WB. I did run two sharpening actions 27,8,0 and 100, .2, 0 in PS.

I'm still at the first impressions stage, but am sure enjoying this camera.

Tom

6. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Re: Superb shots!

I was shooting with the 70-200 and the 1.4 TC, so effectively about 340. It was just right. Here's another one I liked, because of the warm light:

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Boy Tom, that's a beauty

The detail contained in the shadows along with the whites is fantastic!

8. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Re: Detail

Yeah, Steve.

I just keep staring at this picture. So much for any concerns about dynamic range.

Tom

9. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Great shots!!

I especially concur with the previous bits about the nice, warm light and the shadow detail.
    You've done your new camera proud.

10. Re: Your house sold in ONE day?!

Thanks, Steve.

I had contrast set to low, though I think with jpeg it would have been better to have it on normal. Low sharpening, color mode II adobe, sunny WB. I did run two sharpening actions 27,8,0 and 100, .2, 0 in PS.

I'm still at the first impressions stage, but am sure enjoying this camera.

Tom[/quote]

Congrats Tom on your camera. I can tell you are having a lot of fun with it. I haven't got that far in the manual with the settings for contrast but I did with sharpening and I always have mine set to the highest sharpening setting because I found that if I take a picture of something with letters in it, they are not clear.

Melissa

11. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Re: Your house sold in ONE day?!

Melissa,

If you work with photoshop or other similar programs, you may find that you have more control over your final result if you do the sharpening there. That's why I leave it on low in camera.

Tom

12. For Tom

Melissa,

If you work with photoshop or other similar programs, you may find that you have more control over your final result if you do the sharpening there. That's why I leave it on low in camera.

Tom[/quote]

Thanks Tom,

I do use PS quite a bit but when it comes to sharpening I either use the in camera sharpening which I found to be much better than Fuji's S2 or I use Nik Sharpener Pro which is a great program for sharpening. PS's USM I found to be trial and error. I have however, used PS's USM to increase a picture which is a trick I learned from someone.

Melissa

Melissa

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Tom,

Very impressive shots. Nice and sharp, and well exposed.

Glad you are enjoying your new tool.... :lol:

Frank