My first picture of the moon (or anything up that way)

So I got hold of a 500mm PF the other day, and now we suddenly had a few clear nights and I had my wits about me to go out and see if I could put this lens to good use. The first thing that popped up (sic) was the moon. Here is a first attempt with my D5. My most immediate lessons are:

1. I need a much more solid way to mount the lens and camera. This was done on my Gitzo 13something and the lens on the body, with the body held down with an L-plate. Need to get a proper foot for the lens to get it on the dovetails on the head.
2. I need more pixels. Nikon, start making the Nikon 860.
3. I need a lot more time learning.

All I did to butcher this picture was take it out of camera, apply lens corrections (there was some very obvious blue fringing on the right hand part of the moon), some sharpening (but given the starting point that is pretty much like looking at Tom Cruise in Minority Report saying "enhance!" and waving with my arms... but nothing happening), and converted to B/W, then crop down.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

-A

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom