My First Planes Contribution

Time to throw myself to the wolves :biggrin:

Here's a few shots I took at the Burlington International Airport (KBTV) in Burlington, VT. The heavy snow that we got yesterday shut down the airport, and all flights in and out were canceled. Today they were back to business us usual, and the weather was fantastic. I took these all with my D3100 and my 55-200mm VR lens with the WB set to Sunny, and ISO 400 with the exception of no. 3 which was shot at ISO 200. I was shooting in Aperture priority mode, and I discovered that I shouldn't shoot wide open as it makes the shutter speed too fast for Prop planes as is evidenced by shot number 3. The 4th shot of the king air was stopped down to f/20, and the difference was quite noticeable. I still have so much to learn.

I am pretty pleased with these pictures overall, but please feel free to give any comments or advice you may have to make them even better. I did post process these in Photoshop somewhat I bumped the sharpness, contrast, vibrance, and saturation a bit. I also cropped a couple of shots to about 75% or so. I was only about 150' to the left of the planes path of travel.

[
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 865187

View attachment 865188

View attachment 865189

Hi Gary,

Just some thoughts and recommendations. Firstly, I'm no expert but I've learned at lot from other plane spotters over the course of last year.

During post processing I recommend having a tighter crop.....there is too much space. My images were similar. Also, center the image unless you're going for some unique look.

Additionally, on sunny days you want to shoot at ISO 200 or lower (depending on the camera).

Shutter versus Aperture; For air shows I shoot around 1/1250 or faster and in Shutter Priority. For planes with props 1/250 to 1/200, this should give you prop blur (maybe a little faster shutter speed for air show performers). Lately for commercial jets I've been shooting Aperture Priority with an f-stop between f/8 to f/11 (this yield me some sharp images), but I still try to have a shutter speed of 1/1000 or faster. If it's slower I can still relatively get a sharp image, but sometimes I may have to increase the ISO in order to get the desired shutter speed. I shoot in RAW as well.

Here are a couple of my images and EXIF:

ISO 320, f/8, 1/1250

ISO 200, f/14, 1/320

I am shooting in RAW, but I will take your advice and try it out. The weather is supposed to be good for the first half of the day tomorrow so maybe I'll go back and try a few more shots. I want to work out all the kinks before I go to an airshow in August.

Very nice. The crop is mostly fine but tight is always good. Must remember to have prop blur, which was missed in the Diamond Katana (#3) which ruins the shot. Also #3 needs a little tighter crop. All in all a very good start.

Gary, you are off to a good start, not least by identifying the shortcomings so you can do better next time.

I agree with Mark and Alex that tighter shots are good, but to me Mark's shot of the Cathay Pacific plane is too tight. I don't have a problem with the B-17 shot, as it obviously is a closeup, rather than an overview, and there is so much to look at in the shot.

I don't normally center my shots, I like there to be a bit of room for the plane to fly into.

Aside from the frozen prop in #3 you captured that one well. You see the entire canopy and the pilot is not cut off by the window frames, and you have the tail in view without it being partially hidden by the wing.

Here is one of mine, off center and you can see the pilots face, although the helmet is mostly obscured. The tail and markings on the side are obscured, but normally I would show a sequence of two to three shots to get detail and a overview.

Don't forget the sticky at the top of the forum, there are a lot of good suggestions in it.

PGB

gary.

Nice set. Love the Diamond Da-40 which is number 3. I've got some time in one of those. Although cramped for my size, they are very fun to fly and are gas sippers. The view is wonderful as well with that forward canopy.

Regards,

Latest posts

Top Bottom