My first portrait

Discussion in 'People' started by SRA, May 22, 2007.

1. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    My wife demanded that with all my equipment I would be shooting my daughter's High School Senior portrait. Well here we go. Compared to the great photographers on this site I ask your forgiveness. But, it's a start and I have five more daughters to go.....:smile:

[​IMG]

2. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    Beautiful! FIVE!!!!! Good luck! My daughter just graduated college and I have to do her portraits also. I hope my results look as good as yours.

3. With a face that lovely in your house... how can this be your first portrait...?!!??! :eek:

This is a very nice shot... no apologies necessary to anyone. :wink:

4. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    With such a lovely subject, how could you miss!

5. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Scott, you have a beautiful daughter and you have done very well. Now you have a tough act to follow in your next five! :biggrin:

6. That's a beautiful portrait of a lovely young lady!

7. With a daughter that looks like that how can you lose Scott. Keep it up and take lots of pictures of your kids, they will love it and so will you.

8. HHARRIS

HHARRIS

May 1, 2007
    So Cal
    Very nice! Five more... WOW

HHARRIS
    :)

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

my gosh, Scott...where have u been? lovely daughter and photo ..now get busy ..lol
    ;-))

10. Genuine smile, tilted head, fill flash, sharp focus on the eyes, complementary background... your first portrait looks like it was done by a pro!

Now's the perfect time to ask for approval for more gear ;-).

11. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Scott, thats a great first portrait effort. Great Job.

12. Very good but it would be even better with a basic levels adjustment. You can find out how to do that and some other things to improve your portraits

HERE

AND HERE

13. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Forgivness.........?? No way, it's an awesome shot, and she's beautiful. Nice work Scott.

14. WOW! You apologize for that beautiful portrait?! You need your eyes checked! LOL! You did a gorgeous job and if you have 5 more daughters like this gorgeous young lady, you better get to snapping pics! I'm not good on technical stuff - I can only say you should be proud to see that beauty hung on a wall! Everything about that photo is beautiful! Keep it up!

15. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    OH MYYYYYYYYYYYYY GOSH...THis woman looks like she could be related to my sister.

Great pic.

16. Scott, excellent effort. With all those girls around the house, you should get plenty of opportunities. Pretty daughter, I know you're proud.

Best Wishes,

17. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    To all who have replied...

I am overwhelmed. :redface: You are all very kind and decent people. A special thank you to all who sent PMs with advice on how to improve the image. It has been very helpful.

I will let her know of your kind words and compliments. They will be a good boost to her as she attacks her finals next week.

Once again thank you. Honestly, every so often I have to take a break from the forum because as I look at all the incredible images produced I have to wonder, "how will I ever get to their level?" That's the, as my father calls it, anal retentive part of me speaking.

I now have two years before the next senior portrait. Hopefully I'll catch up. :smile:

18. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Beautiful

Scott,
    She is beautiful and so is the portrait. Believe me, you've got lots of photo opportunities ahead. Just wait till those five girls start having babies. Then the fun really begins, so just keep developing those portrait skills. Although, it looks like you already have a great start. I think this is really nice.

By the way, my baby graduated from high school last week.

19. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Terri,

Thank you for your very kind words. I have been taking special note of your family photos as I see that same future coming my way. Alas, your images are incredible. I hope to rise to some semblable of your level.

20. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Now, those remarks make me smile, because I feel very insecure about people photos. But I am improving and my confidence is being boosted by minute amounts. Just keep shooting and I will too. Is your daughter a dancer? Will she dance for you at UVSC?