1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My first portraits, and first post....

Discussion in 'People' started by outt3n, May 8, 2007.

1. outt3n

outt3n

Apr 24, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Hey guys my name's Kyle and well like the title says they're my first shots, so C&C is much need so i can only try to improve next time:smile:
    1. Senior Portraits, lol also first time PP
    [​IMG]

2. My mom, lol she didn't like the picture, but i thought otherwise.
    [​IMG]

2. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Welcome to the Café Kyle. You have come to the right place if you want to learn.

Nice images - I think you are off to a great start. I am still learning myself, but there others here that will give you great advice on how to improve your images.

3. Logan

Logan Guest

off to a great start Kyle, and welcome...
    i will say however, if you have they original file to the first and its unedited and not as blown i would reprocess with a mask... the shirt is pretty hot... and IMHO i dont think it would hurt to crop it a little...

4. Good start Kyle. For advise on your first image the missing right arm is bothersome to me as is the new tree growth sticking up in the picture. Both of these are easily fixed in your next shot of this young man. I suggest a closer crop that will eliminate some of the building background. Keep at it and you will get better.

5. outt3n

outt3n

Apr 24, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Lol funny you should say that Gordon because it's a self portrait! i was just trying to find the spot on the camera that i would show up in (told my mom i could save us the money from having to hire a photog. she was hesitant at first, but now she likes it). And also lol you should have seen it when i tried to mask out that little shrub it was terrible. Well guys thank you for all of the comments and kind of gets those "first post gitters" out of the way, lol. Also i did end up cropping that one earlier, and it did you out fairly well. Thanks.

6. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Hi Kyle,
    Welcome to The Café. You are doing the right thing......keep shooting and posting and asking for advice and you'll get better very quickly.

There is definitely a learning curve to operating the camera correctly, composition, lighting etc....but once you start to get it it's like a lightbulb going off and suddenly things start to get easier.

This is a great place to learn with tons of incredibly helpful people so keep shooting and posting.

Good first atempt!! A few issues as have been pointed out already, but you gotta start somewhere and your first shots look better than mine did!

7. outt3n

outt3n

Apr 24, 2007
    Houston, TX
    thanks a lot, and i really enjoy all of the photographs you have taken Stuart( i love that old glamor look) i'm really enjoying all of the comments!

8. First off, welcome to the Cafe. It looks like you're off to a pretty good start. This is probably one of the best places you can learn the things necessary to take your photography skills to another level.

When I started here, I didn't know the basics, but the many skilled photographers here were more than willing to help me. I'm sure they will do the same for you!! Keep shooting, and don't hesitate to ask questions! One last thing - don't be scared to EXPERIMENT!!!

9. outt3n

outt3n

Apr 24, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Tired to fix it a little...
    [​IMG]

10. Welcome to the Cafe Kyle.

You have already gotten some good feedback already, so I will just add that I like the shallow depth of field in the second picture.

Keep shooting.

11. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    A warm welcome to the Cafe. This is a wonderful place to share and learn. You are already off to a great start with some appropriate advice from fellow forumers. Keep shooting and sharing! That is the best way to learn.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.