My first real attempt at a shoot with Emilie

Discussion in 'People' started by BostonRott, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Ok, for the first time, I actually put her in a dress and set about outside to photograph her. Being the tomboy that she is, within 2 minutes, she was digging in dirt "looking for wormies, Mommy!" :rolleyes:

Looking for critique on composition and PP. I tried out new methods on these. I think #2 is a bit extreme for my tastes, but I don't hate it. :smile:

101015011.gif

View attachment 230905

View attachment 230906

2. Gretchen, she is beautiful!! Absolutely delicious!

I like the look in the first one. "I know you put me in a dress, but I still want to play in the dirt"! The composition is a little too centered. Perhaps a fun tilt would make it even more interesting. She also could use a little more light in her eyes.

The second shot has that engaging smile. Again the crop is a little too centered for me. I find the small amount of tree to just be a distraction. Her eyes seem a little brighter in the B&W.

3. 3 over 2 for me, gretchen
    and #1 would lend itself very well to one of uncle franks SQUARE SHOOTER final works
    maybe recrop it to that

4. Thank you Mitch and Greg! :smile:

I will go back and work on crops some more. Initially, I tried to get rid of some background hot spots. Forgot to watch out for centered-ness (new word?!). :redface: Thank you for your help. :smile:

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    The expression in the first one is darling! And I prefer the b&w over #2.

6. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    wow, those are GREAT! I loved looking at them. Especially the ones where she is by the tree. What did you do for lighting? It looks great.

7. Thank you Francis. :smile: I too prefer the black and white. #2 was a new attempt for me, a popular method, but not my usual style. :wink:

Thank you so much Kurt! I had fun shooting them. I need to process the one "when models run away" :tongue: :biggrin:

These were shot out doors, simply using a bright overcast day (which was bright enough to actually produce shade at times). While chasing a child about the yard, one can't manipulate reflectors or lighting. :wink:

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Oh gosh she is stunning. So adorable. I have nothing to offer other than I love both shots.

9. Love the B&W one! All are nice, but I just like that one for some reason.

10. I love em! great captures Gretchen.

11. The black and white is perfection! I just love it!

12. edhu

edhu

Jul 21, 2008
    NY/NJ
    first one is the winner. 2nd one slightly over-expo.

13. Thank you Seneca! Its fun to get something other than a typical silly 3yr old face. :biggrin:

Thank you Shaun. I'm really becoming a fan of B&W portraits.....one of the biggest things I think I've learned here at the Cafe! :smile:

Hahaha, thanks!! :) She's a true blessing in my life! :smile:

Thank you Sonya! I've learned a lot from watching your work. :smile:

The processing is part of what makes #2 hot. It's on the verge anyway, the processing pushed it over......and then I made the conversion from that processing (not from the original). :wink:

14. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    Gorgeous little girl! Love #1 and #3 the best, but she steals each picture with your heart!

15. Awesome Gretchen!

Some would say, "it's too hot", but I find highlights like this make great high key looking portraits.

The B&W image is the best.

16. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm late to the party, so I just want to say how lovely these are. Remember you can mask back areas that get too bright or burn them.