1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My first real attempt at a shoot with Emilie

Discussion in 'People' started by BostonRott, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Ok, for the first time, I actually put her in a dress and set about outside to photograph her. Being the tomboy that she is, within 2 minutes, she was digging in dirt "looking for wormies, Mommy!" :rolleyes: 

Looking for critique on composition and PP. I tried out new methods on these. I think #2 is a bit extreme for my tastes, but I don't hate it. :smile:

101015011.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 230905

View attachment 230906

2. Gretchen, she is beautiful!! Absolutely delicious!

I like the look in the first one. "I know you put me in a dress, but I still want to play in the dirt"! The composition is a little too centered. Perhaps a fun tilt would make it even more interesting. She also could use a little more light in her eyes.

The second shot has that engaging smile. Again the crop is a little too centered for me. I find the small amount of tree to just be a distraction. Her eyes seem a little brighter in the B&W.

3. 3 over 2 for me, gretchen
    and #1 would lend itself very well to one of uncle franks SQUARE SHOOTER final works
    maybe recrop it to that

4. Thank you Mitch and Greg! :smile:

I will go back and work on crops some more. Initially, I tried to get rid of some background hot spots. Forgot to watch out for centered-ness (new word?!). :redface: Thank you for your help. :smile:

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    The expression in the first one is darling! And I prefer the b&w over #2.

6. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    wow, those are GREAT! I loved looking at them. Especially the ones where she is by the tree. What did you do for lighting? It looks great.

7. Thank you Francis. :smile: I too prefer the black and white. #2 was a new attempt for me, a popular method, but not my usual style. :wink:

Thank you so much Kurt! I had fun shooting them. I need to process the one "when models run away" :tongue: :biggrin:

These were shot out doors, simply using a bright overcast day (which was bright enough to actually produce shade at times). While chasing a child about the yard, one can't manipulate reflectors or lighting. :wink:

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Oh gosh she is stunning. So adorable. I have nothing to offer other than I love both shots.

9. Love the B&W one! All are nice, but I just like that one for some reason.

10. I love em! great captures Gretchen.

11. The black and white is perfection! I just love it!

12. edhu

edhu

Jul 21, 2008
    NY/NJ
    first one is the winner. 2nd one slightly over-expo.

13. Thank you Seneca! Its fun to get something other than a typical silly 3yr old face. :biggrin:

Thank you Shaun. I'm really becoming a fan of B&W portraits.....one of the biggest things I think I've learned here at the Cafe! :smile:

Hahaha, thanks!! :)  She's a true blessing in my life! :smile:

Thank you Sonya! I've learned a lot from watching your work. :smile:

The processing is part of what makes #2 hot. It's on the verge anyway, the processing pushed it over......and then I made the conversion from that processing (not from the original). :wink:

14. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    Gorgeous little girl! Love #1 and #3 the best, but she steals each picture with your heart!

15. Awesome Gretchen!

Some would say, "it's too hot", but I find highlights like this make great high key looking portraits.

The B&W image is the best.

16. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm late to the party, so I just want to say how lovely these are. Remember you can mask back areas that get too bright or burn them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.