My first season of softball has come to a end

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Mason, May 25, 2007.

1. It’s hard to believe that we are already heading into summer. I haven’t been as active here as I would like to have been, but I have checked in and have really been enjoying everyone’s pictures. I shot some softball this season for a team that a friends daughter plays on. I should have posted some pictures along the way for some comments, because looking through them for this post I noticed a lot of things that I didn’t like, and a lot of things that I could have fixed in PP. That is something I really need to work on. I like to take pictures, but I don’t like sitting in front of a computer…and then I don’t look at my pictures often enough or critically enough.

Looking at these, tighter crops are something I need to work on.

Baseball isn’t a sport I ever enjoyed very much, so maybe just because of that I didn’t have much exposure to softball, but I have to say that I really enjoyed these games. These are a combination of Woody’s old 70-200, GBRandy’s old 300 2.8, Flew’s old D2H:biggrin:…and the only think I have bought new, the D200 (used gear rocks!). SmugMug strips the exif…not me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow good shots

3. Thank you Gale. You are kind, as always1

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice shooting Mason, these look pretty darned good to me. Nice to see you posting with us, hope to see more real soon. I'll be watching for you in the Birds/Animals forum too.

5. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    very nice,
    run levels on 1,6 & 7, bring up the blacks.

6. Hey Mason,

Great stuff. Nice crops and awesome bat on ball. I hate it too that the high school fast pitch season seems so short. I love shooting this particular sport.

7. Thanks Frank. Hopefully Rex and I will get some shots of his eagle in the next few weeks and I can post them in the animal section. I saw lots of birds today while working in my yard. Why....do they show up with two weedeaters running, but as soon as I set the tripod up....nothing:mad:

Thanks Twig, I will try that.

Thank you Ty. I enjoyed softball quite a bit, and some of the parents are a hoot!

8. RandyB

RandyB Guest

The shot of the pitcher is my favorite.

9. Thanks Randy!

10. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    #1, #6 & #7 are sweet...contrast boost perhaps? But very well done. Glad to see my old lens is in good hands :)

11. Thank you, sir. I always welcome your comments and thoughts. Yes, they need a little something and I have better copies that I didn’t upload to smugmug. One of my friends does a video for the team every year, and this time he used a couple dozen of my pictures. He asked me to keep some of them under wraps until the video was finished, and I just remembered that when I was looking for the “good ones” and there were not on smugmug.

Your old lens is doing very well in its new home. Kind of cool to think that you used it, and Andreas before you…and my D2H was Flews and Mike Macs. Doesn’t make me any better, but I’d like to thing some of the experience with the gear will rub off:biggrin:

12. Nice job bet you are sorry to see the season end, I agree with Twig when shooting backlight soemtimes a levels adjustment will bring the contrast back to a picture. Very nice series

13. Thanks for looking, Mike. I'm glad to have learned something new regarding backlighting, levels, and contrast.