1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My First Self-Portrait (B&W)

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Firestorm_westy, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Hi all,

The wife and kids are away this week and as the weather is sooo awful, I thought I would try my luck with some lighting.

This is a single SB-800, into a brolly.

Oh, and I only had one 'model' - ME!

Very rare to get into a shot myself, but I thought I would share this one.

I really welcome your thoughts... Is the crop too tight? Is the pp too much? Is it just plain awful?

Thanks,

Paul

345861182_bqoPL-L.

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Paul I love what you did. - good job. ..now what the heck is a brolly?

3. hmm a brolly? interesting - I have a brolly - I use it to make black n tans (mmmm beer)

but I think in his meaning is an umbrella :) 

4. Sen:
    Brolly-Umbrella (darn Texans, need educating on everything--Remember Gary P Nunn's song with Jerry Jeff?)

I like the shot--lighting and shadows are brooding and mysterious while the eyes say "I'm friendly"!

How did you get the focus so spot on?

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    :biggrin: We are one of a kind. But ya know ya'll love us Texans!

6. Have to agree there--as far as you are concerned, for sure :645:

Darn: now I have that song stuck in my head " I want to go home with the armadillo. . .":Whistle:

7. Thanks! The focus was pretty lucky - I set an Aperture of f8 to give me some DOF, point the camera in the general direct of where I was sitting, and used the remote release...

I was so suprised with how many 'keepers' I got!

Paul

8. Thank you - A brolly is an Umbrella (in the UK anyhow!)

Can't believe how much the B&W conversion bought out my freckles... Oh well, can't win them all!

Paul

9. Thanks--I should try that--my wife is scared to touch my camera!

10. Mine too - I would prefer her to model though to be honest!

11. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

IMHO This shot strait up would be more powerful.the shadowing i mean lighting is very nice.

12. Thanks

13. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Great self portrait. I have never had the courage to "shoot myself". Maybe someday.

14. paul...
    love this one
    you did a great job

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.