1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My first semi-pro photo request

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris_B, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    I was happy the other day to see this email come to me right out of the blue. This was an event I went to with my kids last December and just shot casually along the river.

I plan on sending them a CD and just asking for photographer credit. Given where I am at right now (2 young kids and busy job for both my wife and I) I don't really have time to explore charging for my hobby. In the future, I would love to explore sports and event photography as a side business. Any way, this was nice to see and very encouraging.

For what it is worth, the Skiing Santa group is a local and somewhat famous small organization. I'm glad to be able to help them out.

My photos from the event: http://www.pbase.com/chris_b1/christmas_2006&page=all

The Waterskiing Santa group: http://www.waterskiingsanta.com/

Email I recieved yesterday:

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for responding! Your photos are the best I've ever seen of our event--and I've seen a ton in our 21 years of doing this show. I think I saw you on the shoreline as I was skiing by...were you at the North end of the crowd with a really long lens on a tripod?

If you could burn a CD and send it to me, I and all of Team Santa would be most grateful. We are planing to use the pics for our 2007 promotional flyer, and also for our website when it is updated. Also, very often, news organizations ask for photos. Now that I have your permission, I will send them a copy your CD, and whenever they are used I will make absolutely sure you are given full credit.

If you can get a CD in the mail before you leave, that would be great, as my flyer designer is working on her project now. If it has to wait until after your vacation, that's OK too. Either way, I really appreciate it.

You are truly a gifted photographer, Chris. Many sincere thanks again!

Kerry (The Waterskiing Santa)

PS Any plans of covering us again this year? And BTW, do you shoot video also?

2. Given that it's a free show, IMHO it'd only be right to give back to them by donating your photos. If it was a business, that answer would be different.

Don't know that you'd want to get in the habbit of being their defacto photographer / videographer, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2007
  3. Chris...
    great complements!!

Congratulations!!

4. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    That's my thought. I would like to talk to them about doing it again to cut my teeth and if they use my stuff, it would be nice to get a copy of their promo fliers (hopefully with my name) for a portfolio. Plus, my young kids would get a kick out of meeting the characters.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice Chris,
    You images are very good
    Fun stuff:>)))))

Congradulations

6. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks for the kind words Cheryle and Gale.

7. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Good going, Chris! This speaks volumes about your work.

8. Excellent Chris!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.