1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My first session with dragon flies ! Help!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Butlerkid, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Found these guys when I was out practicing with my new 70-300. Critiques and comments for improvement welcomed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. They look pretty good to me. The first and last images are my favorites. Are you using the 70-300 VR or the standard 70-300? Just keep shooting and try and get backgrounds out of focus as much as possible and still retain enough DOF for the subject. Keep checking this gallery and you will see many good shots from the regulars who post here. Like myself, you can learn a lot from them. Mainly, have fun:smile:.

3. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks for the quick response and I REALLY appreciate the suggestions. I've been inspired by the great photographers @ NikonCafe!

My 70-300 is the VR version. The shot of 2 dragonflies together was on a tripod. I think the rest were hand held. I tried to shift positions to optimize the backgrounds - and kept asking the dragonflies to be patient with me!
    But they generally just took off! :frown:

4. Karen - another great set :smile:

5. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Cheers!

Thanks for the comments! I have a lot to learn. But like your avatar, I think it's time for a little glass of wine and some dinner.

Thanks again!

6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Shooting dragonflies can be addictive. Those are very nice shots. My only personal point of view is that there is too much empty room in #1 and 4 that really doesn't add to the shot. Otherwise they are very good.

7. Nice series Karen, 1 & 4 are my favorites as well :cool: 

I have just started 'hunting dragons' myself, I found an extension tube allows me to focus closer and help fill the frame. The pond I visited today seemed to have alot of predictable subjects (or at least landing areas), staying in one spot and letting them come back to 'perch' seemed easier than sneaking up on them.

Looking forward to more captures!

8. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks for the comments. I'll definitely try to get closer. I have a 1.4 tele and also a set of extension tubes. Otherwise, with the70-300 VR on my D200, about 3 1/2 feet seemed to be as close as I could be and still focus.

9. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks for commenting!

Yes, I like to get in one spot and stay there and let them come to me.

On this outing, I had my husband and puppy waiting for me. They were patient, but I still felt pressure to move on!

10. Nothing to be ashamed of, there good images like 1 and the last too, and yup there are some incredible DF shooters here, it's most humbling, have fun keep shooting:smile:

11. Just saw this. I was about to add my first ones that I actually went out looking for kinda.
    I like #4 alot.

glenn

12. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Torben is right, Dragon hunting can be addictive! Nice shots, #2 is my favorite.

13. Doesn't the 70-300 have a limit to its' maximum reproduction ratio? My old one was 1:3 but I think that the newer ones are less than that. If so then add a compatable extension tube.

Bob F.

14. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thank you! They are fascinating! It's the NikonCafe "greats" that got me started!

Between great photos and Lens Lust, this Cafe has rejuvenated my photography!

I just got the 70-300 VR and am just learning how to use it! I need a lot of light because the lens is slow and seems to hunt for focus without bright light. Thanks for the suggestion regarding extension tubes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.