My first session with dragon flies ! Help!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Found these guys when I was out practicing with my new 70-300. Critiques and comments for improvement welcomed!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

They look pretty good to me. The first and last images are my favorites. Are you using the 70-300 VR or the standard 70-300? Just keep shooting and try and get backgrounds out of focus as much as possible and still retain enough DOF for the subject. Keep checking this gallery and you will see many good shots from the regulars who post here. Like myself, you can learn a lot from them. Mainly, have fun:smile:.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thanks for the quick response and I REALLY appreciate the suggestions. I've been inspired by the great photographers @ NikonCafe!

My 70-300 is the VR version. The shot of 2 dragonflies together was on a tripod. I think the rest were hand held. I tried to shift positions to optimize the backgrounds - and kept asking the dragonflies to be patient with me!
But they generally just took off! :frown:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Cheers!

Thanks for the comments! I have a lot to learn. But like your avatar, I think it's time for a little glass of wine and some dinner.

Thanks again!

Shooting dragonflies can be addictive. Those are very nice shots. My only personal point of view is that there is too much empty room in #1 and 4 that really doesn't add to the shot. Otherwise they are very good.

Nice series Karen, 1 & 4 are my favorites as well :cool:

I have just started 'hunting dragons' myself, I found an extension tube allows me to focus closer and help fill the frame. The pond I visited today seemed to have alot of predictable subjects (or at least landing areas), staying in one spot and letting them come back to 'perch' seemed easier than sneaking up on them.

Looking forward to more captures!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Shooting dragonflies can be addictive. Those are very nice shots. My only personal point of view is that there is too much empty room in #1 and 4 that really doesn't add to the shot. Otherwise they are very good.
Thanks for the comments. I'll definitely try to get closer. I have a 1.4 tele and also a set of extension tubes. Otherwise, with the70-300 VR on my D200, about 3 1/2 feet seemed to be as close as I could be and still focus.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thanks for commenting!

Yes, I like to get in one spot and stay there and let them come to me.

On this outing, I had my husband and puppy waiting for me. They were patient, but I still felt pressure to move on!

Nothing to be ashamed of, there good images like 1 and the last too, and yup there are some incredible DF shooters here, it's most humbling, have fun keep shooting:smile:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Nothing to be ashamed of, there good images like 1 and the last too, and yup there are some incredible DF shooters here, it's most humbling, have fun keep shooting:smile:
Thank you! They are fascinating! It's the NikonCafe "greats" that got me started!

Just saw this. I was about to add my first ones that I actually went out looking for kinda.
I like #4 alot.

Thanks! I learn a lot just from seeing what others are able to accomplish!

glenn
Torben is right, Dragon hunting can be addictive! Nice shots, #2 is my favorite.
Between great photos and Lens Lust, this Cafe has rejuvenated my photography!

Doesn't the 70-300 have a limit to its' maximum reproduction ratio? My old one was 1:3 but I think that the newer ones are less than that. If so then add a compatable extension tube.

Bob F.
I just got the 70-300 VR and am just learning how to use it! I need a lot of light because the lens is slow and seems to hunt for focus without bright light. Thanks for the suggestion regarding extension tubes.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom