My first shoot

Discussion in 'People' started by Thaddeus, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    Had my camera about a week now and went along to snag some shots of my fiance at the arboretum during her session with the wedding photog. Out of the 150 total shots I had less than 10 that were really usable, but I'm proud of my first effort. :)

ya ya ..not supposed to see her in her dress, blah blah ;)

my nikon d100 + 70-200 2.8 (DROOL) and a sb-800 flash.

http://flickr.com/photos/thaddeus_smith/sets/72157606405779943/

2. pr549f2678

pr549f2678

Jun 26, 2007
    central Fl
    Nice shots of your bride to be, wish yall the best.

Phil...........:smile:

3. michael
    very well done

please take a moment to directly link some of your images here...
    you'll get more comments that way

thanks for sharing with us

much success to you

4. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  5. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I like the rapport you have with your subject

oh wait, your marrying her...:redface:(embarassed). Seriously, she gave you some different angles of her personality...that makes a nice study. I am a RANK AMATEUR but would try to do something with the background on this picture...you can probably do better than me.

2707207457_2181972d9d.png

6. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    can you elaborate a bit... too busy? too bright?

7. KG72

KG72 Guest

Pretty lady... congrats!

8. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    Very nice series.

9. Gorgeous woman and awesome photos.

I LOVE the use of the umbrella as a diffuser. It worked so well.

Well done!

10. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Ok

I think it is way too bright and a bit busy. Just looked at my attempt and think blurring the background might help out. I love the exposure on your bride and the fleshtones are very flattering.

btw, Pretty catch... Happy Life Together!!!:Love:

11. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Congrats on the beautiful bride! Lovely pictures.

Only advice I have is to be careful not to blow the highlights in her dress or the background (background less important). Also be careful not to place her face in the center of the frame. That's a tough habit to break, but makes a huge difference.

12. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    thanks all for the wishes, compliments, and critiques!

@ dan1son - yes, my local "mentor" already chided me for my excessive centering. i was so focused on WB and keeping images sharp that i neglected other aspects at times (such as the all important composition). more shooting = greater comfort with the gear = better results. can you suggest a PS method, however, for toning down the dress highlights? is it as simple as tweaking the curves?

thanks again for all the input...

13. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Unfortunately highlights (or shadows) that are blown are non recoverable. I know lightroom and Capture NX have highlight protection type sliders that can help a bit, but if it's completely blown there's no way to get the information back out of it.

Best thing to do is look at the histogram in camera, or even the "highlights," and if you blew something that's important to you, use some exposure compensation and take another shot. That might bring the subject exposure down a bit, but you'll find it's easier to bring that back up in post processing than it is to fix blown highlights.

That's also one of the main arguments for RAW files. They contain a larger dynamic range and it's possible to pull even more data out of the darker areas than it is with compressed images like JPGs. So if you have to underexpose the subject a bit to keep the highlights in check, RAW will give you better results when pulling the subject back up to match. If I wasn't at work I'd show you what I mean with some samples...

14. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    great feedback and instruction. many thanks :)