My First Snowy ;^ )

Well last Friday was just an awesome day, allot of firsts, and this one is NO different. I have never seen a snowy egret, did not even know we had them in Alberta ? I just got in Jasper and a slough on the side of the road, thought it was a swan, long neck right. Figured kind of cool, set up, put the range finder on, 178 yards, long ways away and dang near pee'd my pants when i thought it was a snowy, felt like a giddy school boy. Well didnt get many shots, moved up about 15ft and got off a few and he took off, talk about skittish! Worst to boot I was shooting in s-af but who cares, I got a snowy. LOL!!!! Now imagine the look when I seen it, he flew away, and out walks a GBH. Dang near filled my drawers. LMAO!!

Did I tell you that you easterners are spoiled! ;^ )

Shot 700mm - HSC - iso 200 - tripod and severe crop, got to luv the x

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 14295

View attachment 14296

Holy smokes Keith. You're killing me with this succession of great shot after great shot! Oh well, you might as well keep'm coming - I can take it :smile:

Keith,

Excellent series, but I'm not sure that the birdie is not a Great White Egret. Snowey's have yellow feet and GWE's have black feet.

Certainly nothing wrong with a few excellent GWE shots though. :wink:

Your too kind Rory, but thanks for the encouragement! Only 4 more months till brackendale
hillrg said:
Holy smokes Keith. You're killing me with this succession of great shot after great shot! Oh well, you might as well keep'm coming - I can take it :smile:

LOL, you crack me up Mike, the one who has his own bird sanctuary in his front yard. LOL!!!! Looks like you had a ton of fun on your holidays, great job on those pics Mike!

mike mac said:
Congrats very well done you have raised the bar again on this series..can I come live with you

Just suck the fun out of my excitement Frank, LOL!!!!!
Great white egret sounds more majestic, I like it ;^ )
See I knew I didnt know my id's , you can see me pay a little more attn now. Was very exciting for me..............

Flew said:
Keith,

Excellent series, but I'm not sure that the birdie is not a Great White Egret. Snowey's have yellow feet and GWE's have black feet.

Certainly nothing wrong with a few excellent GWE shots though. :wink:

Keith, you sure nailed that opportunity! What a great find.

I had no idea they came that far north, but my National Geographic Field Guide says that Great Egrets occasionally breed far north of their usual range and that post-breeding wanderers reach far north of range. I think you were very lucky! The dashed line that is supposed to represent their northern limit is closer to the latitude of Calgary not Jasper. Maybe there are some benefits to global warming. Anyway, nice shooting! Keep them coming. :)

Gwe

Keith
He is a beautiful Great White Egret. You did a great job !!

So glad he gave you a nice fly by. Snoweys are quite small compared to this Gent. :>)))

I am not used to this new face on the forum yet. Opened after work and said what the hell is wrong with my computer now.

Just got to get used to it.

just think Gale, time to create a new avatar for you :smile:

Gale said:
Keith
He is a beautiful Great White Egret. You did a great job !!

So glad he gave you a nice fly by. Snoweys are quite small compared to this Gent. :>)))

I am not used to this new face on the forum yet. Opened after work and said what the hell is wrong with my computer now.

Just got to get used to it.

HI Dennis, neither did I. LOL.........it was a total surprise :eek: but what a nice one!!

Nikam said:
Keith, you sure nailed that opportunity! What a great find.

I had no idea they came that far north, but my National Geographic Field Guide says that Great Egrets occasionally breed far north of their usual range and that post-breeding wanderers reach far north of range. I think you were very lucky! The dashed line that is supposed to represent their northern limit is closer to the latitude of Calgary not Jasper. Maybe there are some benefits to global warming. Anyway, nice shooting! Keep them coming. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom