My First Snowy ;^ )

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Keith, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Well last Friday was just an awesome day, allot of firsts, and this one is NO different. I have never seen a snowy egret, did not even know we had them in Alberta ? I just got in Jasper and a slough on the side of the road, thought it was a swan, long neck right. Figured kind of cool, set up, put the range finder on, 178 yards, long ways away and dang near pee'd my pants when i thought it was a snowy, felt like a giddy school boy. Well didnt get many shots, moved up about 15ft and got off a few and he took off, talk about skittish! Worst to boot I was shooting in s-af but who cares, I got a snowy. LOL!!!! Now imagine the look when I seen it, he flew away, and out walks a GBH. Dang near filled my drawers. LMAO!!

Did I tell you that you easterners are spoiled! ;^ )

Shot 700mm - HSC - iso 200 - tripod and severe crop, got to luv the x

original.

View attachment 14295

View attachment 14296

2. Holy smokes Keith. You're killing me with this succession of great shot after great shot! Oh well, you might as well keep'm coming - I can take it :smile:

3. Wow

Congrats very well done you have raised the bar again on this series..can I come live with you

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Keith,

Excellent series, but I'm not sure that the birdie is not a Great White Egret. Snowey's have yellow feet and GWE's have black feet.

Certainly nothing wrong with a few excellent GWE shots though. :wink:

5. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great Flight shots!!

6. Your too kind Rory, but thanks for the encouragement! Only 4 more months till brackendale

7. LOL, you crack me up Mike, the one who has his own bird sanctuary in his front yard. LOL!!!! Looks like you had a ton of fun on your holidays, great job on those pics Mike!

8. Just suck the fun out of my excitement Frank, LOL!!!!!
    Great white egret sounds more majestic, I like it ;^ )
    See I knew I didnt know my id's , you can see me pay a little more attn now. Was very exciting for me..............

9. Thanks Ben, was quite pleased considering i was not in continous mode, caught me off guard

10. Keith, you sure nailed that opportunity! What a great find.

I had no idea they came that far north, but my National Geographic Field Guide says that Great Egrets occasionally breed far north of their usual range and that post-breeding wanderers reach far north of range. I think you were very lucky! The dashed line that is supposed to represent their northern limit is closer to the latitude of Calgary not Jasper. Maybe there are some benefits to global warming. Anyway, nice shooting! Keep them coming. :)

11. That second image kicks butt. Well done. I too say it is a great white.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gwe

Keith
    He is a beautiful Great White Egret. You did a great job !!

So glad he gave you a nice fly by. Snoweys are quite small compared to this Gent. :>)))

I am not used to this new face on the forum yet. Opened after work and said what the hell is wrong with my computer now.

Just got to get used to it.

13. just think Gale, time to create a new avatar for you :smile:

14. Thanks Gordon, appreciate your kind comments!!

15. HI Dennis, neither did I. LOL.........it was a total surprise :eek: but what a nice one!!