My first time shooting MX

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by FullFrame, Apr 13, 2007.

1. I had a chance recently to go hang out with an experienced MX photographer at one of the local tracks. He gave me some tips and set me off on my own. This was my first time shooting motocross and below are a couple of my favorites. Thoughts?

WES_3017aweb2.

WES_3028-aweb.

2. Wow !

The first one tells a story and the second one is magazine ready. Both are Pro shots.

Dennis

3. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Looks like your off to a good start, Wes. nice compostion. I agree with Dennis. they're both great shots.

but they seem oversatured on my monitor, especially the second one. I noticed in your EXIF data you have your camera set on 'high saturation' and 'hard sharpness'. saturation and sharpness are usually better done in PP, than in camera. its easier to add, than to remove.

looking forward to seeing more.

like member JohnC said in recent thread;"I'm liking all this MX photography! :smile: "

:biggrin:

4. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    nice shots, tight crops are good,

While I like the eyes in the first shot, I think the second shot conveys the sport better because you have flying dirt in there (A necessary component I think in this sport). If a slightly looser crop of shot 1 gives you flying dirt, I would do it.

usually I like sports shots to be saturated and contrasty, but yours are on the edge of pushing it too far --these are great, but don;t go any harder or else you will end up with technicolor.

5. I forgot that I had my camera set to high saturation. I need to turn that off. Literally, the only post I did on these was...

- Crop.
    - In PS CS2, adjust WB using eye dropper tool.
    - Apply a slight USM.

I'm very appreciative of the feedback, though. You guys ought to see how these things printed on metallic paper.