My first trip with my Gura Gear Bataflae 32L

So I have been so busy that I didn't have time to convert all my stuff over to my new 32L from my Kiboko, so I quickly sat down the night before my trip and set the bag up to go. Here is what I had in the main section (not pockets):

D3
D700 with L bracket
70-200 f/2.8
24-70 f/2.8
14-24 f/2.8
85 f/1.4
SB-800
SB-910
Markins Q20

Tripod on the side: Gitzo 3541L with a Markins tripod hub (TH-300).

The reason the Markins head was in the bag is because I didn't want it getting all banged up in travel. I had the space in the bag, so why not? Another thing to note, I really liked the Bataflae for the ability to mount the tripod to the middle of the bag, but in the end, I put the tripod on the side, same as the Kiboko. It allows full access to the bag (all pockets). You can easily put your gear in the bag to balance it out. One of the big reasons for the Bataflae purchase was to be able to put both my 300 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 in there. No, the 300 didn't make this weekend's trip. Even though the above sounds like a lot, there was still space in the bag. Any traveler knows, you don't check in prescription medication. I put prescription meds in my main area. I also put all spare batteries along with a ton of rechargeable AA's in a small area along the edge in a Gura Gear Et Cetera bag, 0.75L.

So what did this weigh? When I got home tonight I checked. It was so comfortable to travel with I wanted to see. I got on the scale with and without. My loaded bag was 31lbs. To put the 300 in something would have to give a little obviously. I don't think the weight would change a ton. Here's another note - I think I can also put my macbook air in the Bataflae if I put it in a sleeve to protect it, or some hard type shell. It could fit right in the middle securely. My kiboko has a dedicated laptop slot.

No, I don't work for or represent Gura Gear. I just really like the product. It's like anything else photography, you start out cheap, then buy a bit more expensive, then more, then you get really expensive. If you had just gone expensive to start, you probably would have saved money.

Oh, I forgot to mention this and I think it's kinda important. I was climbing around with this thing on my back and I wanted to have my D700 out (24-70 attached with CPL). I put on my Black Rapid strap (sport model) then put on the Bataflae. Worked perfectly. I had perfect access to my camera with no issues while the rest of my pack was secure on my back. I tried this on the fly and got lucky. I didn't try it at home first, but it definitely works.

Great travel gear, don't think I need to buy another bag.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom