my first try at BYB

Discussion in 'Birds' started by warren, Jul 13, 2008.

1. I finally set up some bird feeders in may backyard and it did not take long before I had a lot of activity. One small problem though, it's near impossible to get close enough even with a 500 so these are all 50% crops or better. This definately takes more patience than I am used to. I would appreciate some critical feedback on these as this is not my usual cup of tea.

331191029_7d4BZ-XL.jpg

331191368_Z2St3-XL.jpg

331191739_unHpg-XL.jpg

331206917_V4cun-XL.jpg

thanks for looking.

2. Very nice shots!

3. Fremlin

Fremlin

Jan 29, 2006
    Scotland
    Look pretty good from where I'm sitting!

4. Wish mine would come out that good. Very nice.

5. Well done, BYB are not as easy as thought. I had always stood around the feeders getting birds use to me and getting closer a few feet at a time. A blind might pay off big, birds are wary and if your out of sight and quiet they feel safer. Also since it's on your property you can leave it out and also move it closer a little each day, it will become part of the habitat and you should be able to get closer and your crop ratio will come down if not eliminated.

Thanks for posting.

Darrell

6. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    These are great Warren, I realy like the woodpecker on the tree.

Darrel gave you some good advise. After some time the birds become more comfortable in their sorounding.

Only draw back is they get used to being fed fed and your budget for feed will need an adjustment.:eek:

7. dj addicted

dj addicted

Apr 15, 2008
    Florida
    you are fortunate to get birds... everytime I set up a feeder it gets ransacked by squirrels

8. Setup for backyard birds

You could try using a remote release with extension cord(s). This is what my set up looks like:

[​IMG]

The block of wood has a hole in the top for feed such as chopped peanuts, mealworms, seed, etc. Add a posing branch to get the bird away from the feeder. You could also attach a branch to your feeder with some twist ties. I also use a wireless release with this setup.

9. nice shots! I am trying the BYB too, just went out today, but I think I am definitely lacking in the zoom category with 200mm being my furthest zoom. I will keep trying and hopefully something good comes out of it.

10. Ron S

Ron S Guest

Great shots, really cool setup idea. I never knew people did this, kewl!

11. Warren,
    the last two are really cool with the woodpecker on a tree then on a feeder but both on right side of frame, beautiful work as always.
    Kevin P.

12. Thanks Alex

Thanks.

Love your avatar. Thanks.

Thanks Darrell. I find they are getting used to me being out there. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks. I am amazed at how quickly they are going through the feed.

No squirrels just yet, i will keep my fingers crossed.

200mm may be a little shot but ultimately it depends on what camera you are using. I use a d2x and at ISO 200 i can usually crop without too much loss in detail.

Thanks Ron.

Great setup Jerry I will try and rig something similar. Thanks a bunch.

Thanks Kevin.

13. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    My buddy Tim O uses a blind in the backyard and has good success with it.