my first try at BYB

I finally set up some bird feeders in may backyard and it did not take long before I had a lot of activity. One small problem though, it's near impossible to get close enough even with a 500 so these are all 50% crops or better. This definately takes more patience than I am used to. I would appreciate some critical feedback on these as this is not my usual cup of tea.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

thanks for looking.

Well done, BYB are not as easy as thought. I had always stood around the feeders getting birds use to me and getting closer a few feet at a time. A blind might pay off big, birds are wary and if your out of sight and quiet they feel safer. Also since it's on your property you can leave it out and also move it closer a little each day, it will become part of the habitat and you should be able to get closer and your crop ratio will come down if not eliminated.

Thanks for posting.

Darrell

These are great Warren, I realy like the woodpecker on the tree.

Darrel gave you some good advise. After some time the birds become more comfortable in their sorounding.

Only draw back is they get used to being fed fed and your budget for feed will need an adjustment.:eek:

Setup for backyard birds

You could try using a remote release with extension cord(s). This is what my set up looks like:

The block of wood has a hole in the top for feed such as chopped peanuts, mealworms, seed, etc. Add a posing branch to get the bird away from the feeder. You could also attach a branch to your feeder with some twist ties. I also use a wireless release with this setup.

nice shots! I am trying the BYB too, just went out today, but I think I am definitely lacking in the zoom category with 200mm being my furthest zoom. I will keep trying and hopefully something good comes out of it.

R

Ron S

Great shots, really cool setup idea. I never knew people did this, kewl!

Very nice shots!
Thanks Alex

Look pretty good from where I'm sitting!
Thanks.

Wish mine would come out that good. Very nice.
Love your avatar. Thanks.

Well done, BYB are not as easy as thought. I had always stood around the feeders getting birds use to me and getting closer a few feet at a time. A blind might pay off big, birds are wary and if your out of sight and quiet they feel safer. Also since it's on your property you can leave it out and also move it closer a little each day, it will become part of the habitat and you should be able to get closer and your crop ratio will come down if not eliminated.

Thanks for posting.

Darrell
Thanks Darrell. I find they are getting used to me being out there. Thanks for the tips.

These are great Warren, I realy like the woodpecker on the tree.

Darrel gave you some good advise. After some time the birds become more comfortable in their sorounding.

Only draw back is they get used to being fed fed and your budget for feed will need an adjustment.:eek:
Thanks. I am amazed at how quickly they are going through the feed.

you are fortunate to get birds... everytime I set up a feeder it gets ransacked by squirrels
No squirrels just yet, i will keep my fingers crossed.

nice shots! I am trying the BYB too, just went out today, but I think I am definitely lacking in the zoom category with 200mm being my furthest zoom. I will keep trying and hopefully something good comes out of it.
200mm may be a little shot but ultimately it depends on what camera you are using. I use a d2x and at ISO 200 i can usually crop without too much loss in detail.

Great shots, really cool setup idea. I never knew people did this, kewl!
Thanks Ron.

You could try using a remote release with extension cord(s). This is what my set up looks like:

The block of wood has a hole in the top for feed such as chopped peanuts, mealworms, seed, etc. Add a posing branch to get the bird away from the feeder. You could also attach a branch to your feeder with some twist ties. I also use a wireless release with this setup.
Great setup Jerry I will try and rig something similar. Thanks a bunch.

Warren,
the last two are really cool with the woodpecker on a tree then on a feeder but both on right side of frame, beautiful work as always.
Kevin P.
Thanks Kevin.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom