My first wedding as a single shooter. Need speedlight suggestions?

So I have been a second shooter for 3 weddings now and have been using the sb-600. Pictures turned out pretty decent.

I now have a friend who is going to be my second shooter using my d90, and sb-600.

I just picked up a d600, and would like to know if an sb-700 will fit my needs, or should I go for the sb-910? Plan on pursuing more weddings so don't mind making the investment if its worth it. Curious if anyone has owned both and can compare/contrast?

Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was shooting weddings as often as I used to years ago, I'd have two SB-910's and the dedicated battery pack, the SB-700 just doesn't have enough zip to be a wedding flash unit. As you can see, I own two SB-800's.

I shot some weddings with 2 D300 with an SB-600 and an SB-700, but it was definitely pushing the flashes to their limits indoors. If you have the funds and are committed to it, the 910 is the way to go. Then again, you can up the ISO on your camera a bit to compensate too. With a D600, you have some options.

I feel the ultimate wedding flash is a couple of Quantum Trio and Quantum Turbo3 battery packs, then add a Quantum Pilot as a wireless controller, but cost is high.
A couple of SB-910 or a couple of used SB-800 will due.

I shot my son's wedding pre-ceremony and reception (the bride asked me to, and she had an alternate shooter for the ceremony since I had to be in the front row with my wife) and used 3 SB-800s with a dedicated extra battery pack.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom