My first wedding shot

Discussion in 'People' started by mike mac, Oct 30, 2005.

1. I am hesitant to post this shot, I was asked by a girl I work with to shoot her wedding it was very informal held at a local restaurant and she just wanted someone to document it. So reluctantly I said sure. Well next thing you know she has a wedding dress , tuxedos and it got way more complicated. Well here is one shot of the bride, she choose the location and was adamant about it. Here is my feeble attempt, I dont like the window but did not have much of a choice this was a small hallway maybe three feet wide
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    LOL Mike,

Oh just dinner at the restaurant :>)))

Nice shot, you did a good job.
    That window in not all that distracting at all. In fact it rather adds to the scene.

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    If a woman says it's informal...but...she wants pictures...you can bet safe money that she's got a dress, he's got a tux and there's gonna be flowers!

You did well all things considered. She really should have given you a better idea of what to expect. I told my photographer everything down to the smallest detail so there were no suprises on either side. I'm sure she will be happy if the rest of her pics look as good as this one. Well done!

4. Nice work Mike. Looks like you may have found a new niche...weddings...I dream about shooting weddings. Only did one for a friend and I was still nervous.

5. Hi Mike, got a kick out of your story. Now you are officially a wedding shooter. I see nothing wrong with the location, it has sort of a formal look to it. I do have a question about the dress, is it off white. It comes across as sort of a cream color and yet her skin tone doesn't look bad. Beautiful bouquet.

6. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Mike,

Nice shot, I did one a couple of weeks ago that I thought was supposed to be small in informal ( well the wedding was, only about 50m people at the church) the reseption was 200 people at a fomal reception hall (in Berlin NJ). I was a little nervous at first, but once you start shooting all jiters go away.

Dan

7. I think you did a fantastic job with the bride's dress! It looks creamy.

As for the window, with some elbow grease, you probably could clone it out and replace it piece by piece with the wall to the right of the bride. Looks good as is, though.

8. First, let me compliment you on the lighting. From the catchlights in the bride's eyes, it seems you used flash, but the picture is amazingly shadowless. I'm guessing you used a bracket, and adjusted the flash output so it didn't overpower the ambient lighting. The background is a bit busy for my taste, too, making it impossible to avoid things like the picture frame and corner cap growing out of the bride's head. But since it was her choice, you did the best you could with a difficult situation. Her image is very clear and sharp, though, and I like the pose and expression. At this point, my only suggestion would be to adjust levels a touch, as I think it will make a dark print in its current state. In this example, I just pulled the right hand slider over until it touched the main body of pixels.

original.gif

One other suggestion.... show us some more!!!

9. Yes this progressed further than I thought along with a change of venues. but oh well it was fun got some cash for the lens fund and a whole lot of learning experience

10. Leigh thanks this is there 2nd wedding for both so she said it was going to be be no big deal. Well it changed quickly but what can I do....

11. Melissa these are marginal at best but one has to learn sometimes

12. It was more of an ivory color, her sister made the bouquet yes a few curve-balls but I managed to get my bat on the ball, maybe a foul ball but I made contact

13. Dan
    Thanks I know what you mean I followed your thread with Terri French and applied some of those techniques

14. Kevin
    I tried to clone it out and gave up thanks for the kind words Kevin

15. Thanks Frank and you were right about the levels adj. I did a vingettng and darkened the selection without boosting the brides contrast. Well next time I have learnt to take more control over the situation and offer my own opinions. Thanks fro the constructive criticism

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Mike,
    Dont change a thing. I think it looks great and no blown highlights. Not on my screen.

17. I agree with unc. frank... I like the lighting, is that the lighting effect from PS I see? I think it should be brightened up a little bit though, as frank has done. IMO I think the shot should actually be somewhere between your version and frank's. I think your's is too dark and frank's is a little too bright. Just my two cents :smile:

18. Ping thanks for the comments and I agree there si a midway point between both that will work thanks for takign the time to point this out. Hope all si well with you and the next time we are down in FLA you might be able to hook up and spend a day or two shootign with us

19. Exquisite shot! The detail is amazing... Wedding days are "the bride's day" so if this is the setting she wanted, then so be it! I looked at the other post as well and think that you did a find job!

(OK - so can I get my Christmas card cardinal now???) :biggrin:

20. You did a great job on this wedding... I'm sure the bride is more than pleased with this shot. You made the best of a difficult venue and besides, no one else but us picky photographers will notice the window reflection - the bride will only notice herself!! LOL