My fly is bigger than your fly

I couldn't help it - this is the mother of the mother of all flies about 20mm/0.8" long. I found this female Coenomyia ferruginea a few weeks ago on a protected piece of tall grass prairie South of Winnipeg. It doesn't seem to have an English name, but in German the family is called Stinkfliegen or stink flies.

Cheers,

Larry

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. I looked up Mydas flies. They are truly huge. I think this thing must approach them for mass though - much heavier build. I wonder if it can actually fly?

Larry

Really beautiful shot. Nice color, gorgeous focus, nice sat, comp as good as you can get considering the subject -

But I still got the willies looking at it. I heard you had some big flying bugs up there in Canada, but JEEZ, eh?

Thanks, Guys

This fly isn't a biter so no fear! The deer flies and horse flies are bad enough up here without something this size wanting to take a chunk out of you. Given the wing length and body size, I've been wondering if it can get off the ground. The males are considerably smaller and more svelte.

Larry

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom