1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My fly is bigger than your fly

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by fishbio, Jul 29, 2009.

1. I couldn't help it - this is the mother of the mother of all flies about 20mm/0.8" long. I found this female Coenomyia ferruginea a few weeks ago on a protected piece of tall grass prairie South of Winnipeg. It doesn't seem to have an English name, but in German the family is called Stinkfliegen or stink flies.

Cheers,

Larry

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
  2. 3whiteroses

3whiteroses

May 23, 2008
    Maryland
    I did not know flies could be so big! Great shot.

3. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Lots of Protein there! Nice grab!

4. Nice picture, crazy looking fly.

5. Ryan Bradford

Ryan Bradford

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester
    i think thats a horse fly but i could be wrong.

6. You are:smile: Horse flies are in the Family Tabanidae; this one is in the Family Xylophagidae.

Cheers,

Larry

7. Thanks, everyone.

It's not one of my best pics., but I couldn't help but respond to the Mother of all flies post.

Larry

8. Looks a bit fat to me! :940:

9. Yeah, that's a big one, but compared to a Mydas fly it will look like a midge :biggrin:.

Cheers

10. Nice shot, and a great find, now I have to go look up the Mydas fly.

11. Good heavens

12. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    You win Larry :m09:

Lovely shot!

13. Thanks everyone. I looked up Mydas flies. They are truly huge. I think this thing must approach them for mass though - much heavier build. I wonder if it can actually fly?

Larry

14. Nice details.

15. Lovely. At this rate I am getting more scared to leave the house

16. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Really beautiful shot. Nice color, gorgeous focus, nice sat, comp as good as you can get considering the subject -

But I still got the willies looking at it. I heard you had some big flying bugs up there in Canada, but JEEZ, eh?

17. Thanks, Guys

This fly isn't a biter so no fear! The deer flies and horse flies are bad enough up here without something this size wanting to take a chunk out of you. Given the wing length and body size, I've been wondering if it can get off the ground. The males are considerably smaller and more svelte.

Larry

18. thats so gross :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.