My garden arch replacement project

When we moved in to this house there was a rotten old garden arch which needed replacing

1gbKUDo.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

even the top had broken
7xivxXF.jpg

cut out some of the fretwork to free the rose bushes
WsaWTW8.jpg

So time for a replacement. The problem was it had to support two roses bushes either side which limited to walkway width. After lot of searching and rejecting design or material (we wanted wood) we found and order one.

Came as a flat pack (not my photo)
Tanhyyo.jpg

Ok we now had it in the garage so to start work on it
First of all I decided that the legs were too long so cut off 6" and use them as stumps for the arch to rest on with a damp proof membrain between to stop damp rising .

stumps now in ground on the earth side

wJujZS5.jpg

hit a problem on the grass side, There was a metapost set in concrete exactly where I wanted to stumps

JnFoHVT.jpg

so had to dig that out
nonSbnG.jpg

now to check levels

haMejY9.jpg

To support the new arch I had purchased some angle iron which I screwed into the arch legs and positioned the arch then put the roses back onto the new arch
okFTTii.jpg

Old and new arches

qpWgUct.jpg

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Great work Barry.
I'm working in my garden too. Enlarging the terrace and preparing the lawn for an auto-mewer.

Kind regards
Klaus

Having been in the same house, built in 1931, for some 30 years, I know that projects such as these are a never ending thing. Obligation? Chore? Money pit? Probably, but I'd rather live in an old house with character than some of the new boring all-alike clones!

we were lucky to get this place 5 years ago, the housing market was crazy in the UK back then. It got to the stage where we were on our way to view houses and the estate agents said it had just been sold. Even houses on new estates were sold even with the next phase that was still on the drawing boards.
Spotted this one below on the internet so contacted the agent and went to view straght away (100mile trip) it had only been up for sale for 3 days and already 3 couple had viewed with another booked for the weekend in a couple of days later.
so we saw and bought there and then for cash and moved in a few weeks later after all the legal and moving arrangements were completed

XscRI6o.jpg

Had electric garage doors fitted

Needed a fair bit of work done as the prevous owners had not got a clue and it was left to them by the old lady they were looking after.
Example
Ceiling under front door porch was dripping so ripped that apart and replaced. no carpenter to do the job so DIY
cut out to see if joists had rotted
hVpStYw.jpg

check and all ok
6ixbuxA.jpg

fitted wooden planks. made dummy bits to check for fit on the support arms. slots cut and air vents fitted on front plank
2DH8bP7.jpg

Finished, Sue "er who must be obeyed" did the paint work

lws9uCN.jpg

Now sorted out and fixed/repaired/replaced all the "cockups" they made and love the place to bits.

Last edited:
It did not stop there, even the couple we got it from needed work in the kitchen . The range master oven was so greased up inside even an oven cleaning service failed and the grill elements had blown

looks ok on the outside inside absolutely filthy

So got rid of it and replaced with new induction hob model and a far better colour

GKOa8FX.jpg

below shown in situ

S2gMK0A.jpg

that is apart from getting a new boiler for hot water and central heating also getting the windows looked at so they opened and closed and locks fitted where the keys had been lost. New sink unit fitted now all in one pressed steel, befor it leaked around the bowl joints. Utility room the power points had had the fuses removed no doubt to use somewhere else and not replaced

This should give some idea of what needed fixing throughout the house. New main bathroom and ensuite to name but a couple of more things

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom