My grandson is playing high school basketball

I am not much of a sports photographer. But, I had fun trying to get some photos of my grandson playing on his 9th Grade team last night. My old 70-200 f2.8 focuses too slowly on the Z6. So I used a lens that wouldn't typically be considered a sports lens and just let the ISO do what it needed to do. My shutter speed could have been faster, but I did the best with what I had.
_DSC4237.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_DSC4250.jpg
_DSC4285.jpg
_DSC4295.jpg
_DSC4305.jpg
_DSC4308.jpg
_DSC4317.jpg
_DSC4341.jpg
_DSC4349.jpg
_DSC4363.jpg
_DSC4373.jpg
_DSC4377.jpg
_DSC4429.jpg
_DSC4451.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
you did fine considering the lens (most of us shoot BB at f/2.8
I'd suggest shoot tighter (or crop tighter)
Thanks, Randy! I’ll keep practicing! I have always used a 2.8 lens in the past. My D610 and 70-200 f2.8 is just so heavy for me to hold with my bad back. But I may take it next time....I just shot from the stands which isn’t optimum, but I’m not sure my grandson would want grandma down near the court taking his pictures!

I would say you did pretty well.
For a single subject, a half dozen good shots is doing pretty good.
Players and refs tend to get in the way of the best shots :(

Thanks, Randy! I’ll keep practicing! I have always used a 2.8 lens in the past. My D610 and 70-200 f2.8 is just so heavy for me to hold with my bad back. But I may take it next time....I just shot from the stands which isn’t optimum, but I’m not sure my grandson would want grandma down near the court taking his pictures!
oh oh, bad back
May be time to consider scaling down.
Because of my age, back and knee, I had to get the kit weight down, so I changed to m4/3.

You shoot as you need to shoot.
I often sit on the 1st row of the bleachers, where I used to stand all the time.
Wear GOOD cushioned and supporting shoes.

What I HATE is the quad; JV + Var, both boys and girls. That is FOUR games and about 5 to 6 hours of shooting, on my feet. My legs and feet can't do that any more. And I have one to shoot next week. I'm going to be SORE.

I think they are wonderful shots Terri. HS Gyms are notorious for problematic lighting but you looked to handle it well. People obsess too much over ISO but the Z6 is clearly capable and shutter speed is clearly the critical factor here. Nice work.

I would say you did pretty well.
For a single subject, a half dozen good shots is doing pretty good.
Players and refs tend to get in the way of the best shots :(

oh oh, bad back
May be time to consider scaling down.
Because of my age, back and knee, I had to get the kit weight down, so I changed to m4/3.

You shoot as you need to shoot.
I often sit on the 1st row of the bleachers, where I used to stand all the time.
Wear GOOD cushioned and supporting shoes.

What I HATE is the quad; JV + Var, both boys and girls. That is FOUR games and about 5 to 6 hours of shooting, on my feet. My legs and feet can't do that any more. And I have one to shoot next week. I'm going to be SORE.
Thanks for the tips to protect the back. I had an m4/3 camera for several years but sold it last year when I went to the Z6. The Z6 works great for me now. I'm glad you have found something you are enjoying.

I think they are wonderful shots Terri. HS Gyms are notorious for problematic lighting but you looked to handle it well. People obsess too much over ISO but the Z6 is clearly capable and shutter speed is clearly the critical factor here. Nice work.
Thank you so much. My grandson loved the photos, so that is the most important thing to me!!

I also shoot field games: football, soccer and lacrosse.
Soccer can be bad, cuz it is an outdoor winter sport here. So very often cold wind and sometimes cold rain. :(
Once, between basketball games, I stepped out of the gym to look at the soccer game. The rain on the soccer field was going horizontal. :eek: I quickly went back into the gym, where it was warm and dry.
Basketball is in the nice warm dry gym. :)

One of the parents told me that he did NOT want his son playing soccer, cuz he did not want to be sitting in the COLD and RAIN, watching his son.

Those games seem like a lifetime ago with all that has happened in the world since then. Hopefully by next winter it will be back to normal.
He has another season.

Our spring sports got shut down after a couple weeks.
Some sports only had one game, diving did not even have their first meet.
I feel bad for the seniors, some of who did not even play a game/meet.

I am hoping for the 2020-21 school year, but I have my doubts.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom