My granny's first week at nursing home !!! PART II !!!

Discussion in 'People' started by Flyfishdk, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk

Nov 1, 2006
    Denmark
    Hi all

This is my second part of the story of my granny moving to a nursing home
    see part 1. here: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=178735

Today sunday I visited my granny again. she have been there since Tuesday this week. It was a great experience. She have not looked better for a year or so. She have already gained some weight and she walks better because she get enough to eat and drink now. So this was a great day. She told me that she is starting to get used to the place and the rutines.... she also said that it was much much better than she expected. :smile:

here are some pics I did today.

My wife and I came in the middle of the lunch...
    _DSC3955-Edit.jpg
    my grandmother are just happy that we are there
    _DSC3976-Edit.jpg
    _DSC3983-Edit.jpg
    she tell about all the good food they get
    _DSC3996-Edit.jpg
    _DSC3999-Edit.jpg
    _DSC4009-Edit.jpg
    she have a great view to the nursing homes garden
    _DSC4063-Edit.jpg
    Hand's... tells a story about life
    _DSC4087-Edit.jpg
    The coffee and Danish pastry are served in the afternoon
    _DSC4098-Edit.jpg
    _DSC4110-Edit.jpg
    Her friend she meet 84 years ago came by. they have been friend all life.
    _DSC4131-Edit.jpg
    she had brought pictures from there childhood.
    _DSC4144-Edit.jpg

C&C are more than welcome

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Wow, so moving. She does look better, even from the photos you posted last week. I am so happy it's a good experience for her and she's enjoying herself. Your photos are priceless, and almost have a journalistic type of feel. Very amazing. :)

3. Nico, this is very touching. This had to be a crushing decision for her, to be sure. My mother died of Alzheimers and her last surviving sibling, a brother had it as well after he lost his wife. I found out through a call from his widow's family and eventually had to arrange for his move to a home for his own safety.

I'm only 66 but the thought of ending my days in a nursing home looms on the distant horizon and the idea of giving up the independence is positively frightening. You have treated this experience with dignity and compassion. I hope grandma copes well lives as happily as she can. Visit her often, family and friends in the end are the most important things in the world.

Thanks for the series.

4. Nico...
    this thread... it moves me to tears
    to see how she has improved
    the wonderful imagery
    her friend of 84 years
    every single incredible image

all those folks complaining about THE CAFE yesterday...
    spend a minute here.....
    and you tell me if there is a better forum on earth

no way..... no way

thanks for giving us all inspiration today
    the next you see granny... give her a hug from me, too

5. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Having worked in a nursing home for the first 15 years of my career, I came to understand life much better than most who do not get the experience. I enjoyed the many, many folks I met. Their life stories taught me so much more than any history class or book. Real life people who can remember the smallest interesting detail of the past. Most had short term memory deficit which didn't allow them to remember where they were or if they had eaten lunch. I have remained passionate about "seniors" and continue to stay connected as a volunteer whenever possible.

I just want to let you know that your photos have given me such a good feeling today. I am thrilled that your Grandma is adjusting to her new life and that her decision was most probably the best one for her. She will eat better, make many new friends, get exercise and probably add a few decent quality years to her life.

A wonderful series for sure. Your photography is fantastic!

6. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    This pictures honestly tug at my heart. Wonderful series.

Thank you for sharing:smile:

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I love what you are doing with this series of photos. I hope to see some every week. She looks like she is happy in her new home. I especially love the one of her looking out the window.

8. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk

Nov 1, 2006
    Denmark
    Hi all

I'm so pleased that you like the series. It's very special for me to make it. I have to break some "borders" to make it. I think it's very hard to go so close and show a very dear person this way, but I'm really pleased with the result. I hope to show more later

9. Great photos, those hands are crazy!

10. Flyfishdk

Flyfishdk

Nov 1, 2006
    Denmark
    and they tell's stories....

11. I was undecided as to whether or not to mention that I was sitting here welling up. Thanks Greg.

Nico, my prayers and best wishes to your grandmother & you and family as well. Her story is moving, your pictures are excellent and the captions make them better.

Start printing them for a scrapbook. You will always cherish it.

Thanks for sharing this very personal part of your life with us.

12. dstangier

dstangier

Jun 18, 2008
    Oregon
    A very moving collection. I love the hand shot.